Why become a member? ×

5 String Quest. Please help!

Musicman20

Right, Ive kinda gone full circle with this as well.

As you can guess, I like a tradtional bodyshape. I am looking for the perfect 5 string. I am willing to save a little more now as my previous efforts have failed over the past 5 months or so.

I would prefer the following:

Jazz type bass (two single coils)

Failing this, a MM Style Humbucker (and probably to save messing about, an actual Stingray/Sterling!)

Olympic White/Aged White/Sunburst/Sonic Blue/possibly Natural.

Decent medium weight, nothing heavy.

Comfortable neck (very important....for reference, I really like the 35" Lakland necks).

If Jazz, MUST have passive option or be totally passive.

Nothing too polite...as it will no doubt be used in a rock band...so has to have a good growl!

I dont really want an obscure manufacturer, as I dont want to struggle to move it on if I have to.

I would like blocks/inlays if possible.

Budget? Approx £1200 MAX.

I know Lakland sits right into this bracket, but their current availability is annoying me, so anything but Lakland unless there are pristine second hand ones for sale.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='714779' date='Jan 16 2010, 01:02 PM']Failing this, a MM Style Humbucker (and probably to save messing about, an actual Stingray/Sterling!)
<snip>
Decent medium weight, nothing heavy.[/quote]
MM Sterling 5? A touch smaller and lighter than the SR5 (if you find the SR5 too heavy, that is). Not something you come across too often though, and you're definitely looking at second-hand on your budget.

Or get Alan to build you an ACG.

Thanks guys!

I havent seen much on the new American Series 5 Jazz as yet...I ned to scour the internet a bit.

Rich - Havent tested the DRs yet....still life in my old strings but Ive got a nice pile of new strings ready for when im gigging a lot again. :)

I am thinking Stingray 5, secondhand....seem to be going very cheap recently.

I like the Clover basses, but again im worried about second hand value. I really want a proper vintage growly jazz tone.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='714827' date='Jan 16 2010, 01:54 PM']I am thinking Stingray 5, secondhand....seem to be going very cheap recently.[/quote]
Have you hefted one in the flesh before? If not, we could attempt to meet up now you're in the region, and you could have a bash on mine. Admittedly it's a fretless with a polyestered ebony board, so it's unlike any other SR5 in existence (AFAIK), but you're welcome to try it out. I love it, but the weight still takes me by surprise a little bit every time I pick it up, especially if I'm coming from a stint on my Fender.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='714833' date='Jan 16 2010, 01:59 PM']Have you hefted one in the flesh before? If not, we could attempt to meet up now you're in the region, and you could have a bash on mine. Admittedly it's a fretless with a polyestered ebony board, so it's unlike any other SR5 in existence (AFAIK), but you're welcome to try it out. I love it, but the weight still takes me by surprise a little bit every time I pick it up, especially if I'm coming from a stint on my Fender.[/quote]

Hey thanks!

Im moving in just under two weeks, ll let you know.

I tested a SR5, a lovely colour, a few months back. I think the reason I want a Jazz or Ray is the pickup is very comfy to play finger style on. The Ray I tested was lighter than the Lakland I also tested! I do like the necks on both, but the Lakkie was SO easy to play. Its a shame they are so hard to get hold of....

Guest johnzgerman

ive still got my Musicman SUB 5 for sale here : [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59727&hl=grey+musicman"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...l=grey+musicman[/url]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='714948' date='Jan 16 2010, 04:00 PM']Thanks for all the info guys.

Im thinking MAYBE a Spector...but I dont know what their string spacing and necks are like. :rolleyes:[/quote]

For a Fender vintage jazz tone? :)

I'd have thought a Fender jazz might do that better...

[quote name='Musicman20' post='714948' date='Jan 16 2010, 04:00 PM']Im thinking MAYBE a Spector...but I dont know what their string spacing and necks are like. :)[/quote]
Aren't all their 5-strings 35" scale? The extra inch not make too much of a difference to you, but it was just a bit too much for my smallish hands down in first position.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='714948' date='Jan 16 2010, 04:00 PM']Thanks for all the info guys.

Im thinking MAYBE a Spector...but I dont know what their string spacing and necks are like. :)[/quote]

I tried out loads of high end 5 strings a while back and the only one that I liked as much as my Spector was a SR5.

If you're looking for a bass that isn't polite then Spector is the way to go!

Edited by thedonutman

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='714950' date='Jan 16 2010, 04:02 PM']For a Fender vintage jazz tone? :)

I'd have thought a Fender jazz might do that better...[/quote]

How about my USA standard Jazz 5 for £700 or if you want it with Nordstrand pickups £800.
Comes with hard case and all tools and case candy, 6 months old and total passive.

Strung with TI powerbass strings and in great condition.

[attachment=40350:Fender_U...ard_5__s.JPG]

If it was my cash (and I wish if it was my cash :)) I'd go for a new Carvin (see [url="http://www.carvinworld.com"]Carvinworld[/url]) look into a new RIM or go for a used Sadowsky or Sei (NB I would have said ACG as well, But Alan's only made 1 J-type and prefers to do his own thing I think).

Why? IMHO, I don't think Fenders are worth the money and that other makers do the Jazz thing as good if not better. Carvin's especially are great value for money with the new SB5000 (not exactly a Jazz shape I know) getting rave reviews.

Edited by 7string

[quote name='7string' post='715230' date='Jan 16 2010, 09:52 PM'](NB I would have said ACG as well, But Alan's only made 1 J-type and prefers to do his own thing I think).[/quote]
True. But both the Recurve and the Finn are relatively traditional-looking body shapes, and Alan'll do two single coils. And he'd probably put them in Jazz positions if you begged him hard enough. It's the preamp that makes a real tonal difference, and there's no passive option with ACG, so you'd probably never [i]quite[/i] get that standard Jazz sound.

To update....the bass has been returned. Ive been talking to JTUK and Dave Bass about getting this bass for a long timeee!

I was searching for a decent Lakland Skyline DJ5, any colour, any board. Ive tried three new ones now, and the QC was not upto scratch. Ive emailed Dan from Lakland to see if he can help.

For now im giving up....Im also not 100% convinced the Lakland tone is perfect for me. The necks and style of the basses are amazing, but Im missing the sheer grunt of a USA Fender!

Next plans for a 5 string? Wait for the new Ernie Ball Musicman Classic Series Stingray 5.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='719643' date='Jan 20 2010, 10:37 PM']To update....the bass has been returned. Ive been talking to JTUK and Dave Bass about getting this bass for a long timeee!

I was searching for a decent Lakland Skyline DJ5, any colour, any board. Ive tried three new ones now, and the QC was not upto scratch. Ive emailed Dan from Lakland to see if he can help.

For now im giving up....Im also not 100% convinced the Lakland tone is perfect for me. The necks and style of the basses are amazing, but Im missing the sheer grunt of a USA Fender!

Next plans for a 5 string? Wait for the new Ernie Ball Musicman Classic Series Stingray 5.[/quote]

Hello. May I draw your attention to my US Standard P-bass V that I'm currently looking to sell (it's in the Basschat Market Place)? I'm hoping for £750. I had a Seymour Duncan "J" style bridge pickup added, which I think works really well. I'm in York, so not impossibly far away if you wanted to try it out...

Let me know if you're interested anyway.

Cheers, Al

[quote name='alhbass' post='719653' date='Jan 20 2010, 10:45 PM']Hello. May I draw your attention to my US Standard P-bass V that I'm currently looking to sell (it's in the Basschat Market Place)? I'm hoping for £750. I had a Seymour Duncan "J" style bridge pickup added, which I think works really well. I'm in York, so not impossibly far away if you wanted to try it out...

Let me know if you're interested anyway.

Cheers, Al[/quote]

Hey...

Thanks for the heads up :)

Ill take a look