Why become a member? ×

Perfect Practice setup?

KiOgon

I've been very happy with my Trace Elliot Boxer 65, but when I got my Peavey Windsor valve amp for guitar it set me off GASing for an all valve bass amp.
I'm only playing at home + rare get togethers with 2 or 3 friends, so normal practice amp/cab requirement but searching for a decent 'old skool' sound.
As soon as I read about Ashdown's 30 watt 'all tube'little bastard I placed my order - last year!, Expecting delivery towards end of this month, (to coincide with my birthday - perfect excuse!). Meanwhile I've been pondering about what cab to match with. First I came up with was a Peavey 210, 175W - one of the lowest wattage rated cabs I could find, then I thought about the Ashdown Mini Rigs, the Perfect Ten 60W with 2 separate 10" cabs & the Five Fifteen 100W with 2x10" in one cab. I asked Ashdown about the small 210 cab but they're not available on their own, so I took the plunge & ordered a Five Fifteen Mini Rig to be getting on with. The intention is to use this as is & compare to the Boxer until the Little Bastard arrives, when I'll be able to do even more A?/B?/C? evaluating.

The Mini Rig came today, so just getting the feel of that, first impressions = How can that be 100 Watts? Seriously loud enough for me but I'm surprised at the apparent levels I can get it up to in my small music room! As far as sound - I'd say it came from the same drawing board as the TE Very similar amps & the 2 x 10s seem pretty good, handling everything so far.

So I'm likely to have a Ashdown Five Fifteen 100 Watt (amp only) for sale soon + I'll probably shift the TE Boxer 65 as well, if all goes to plan. Watch this space - or more correctly - the Amps & Cabs for sale in the Bass Chat market place.

Cheers,
John

[quote name='Merton' post='713051' date='Jan 14 2010, 08:59 PM']Cool! V interested to see how you get on with the Little Bastard, if i had the money I'd have one of those. Might know someone who'd take the 5-15 or Boxer off your hands too, so let me know - will be dwon your way on Sat 30th Jan too :)[/quote]

Great if you know someone looking for a practice amp or combo give me a shout! Sat 30th is not a day I'm looking forward to - my car's booked it for 101 things that need doing + MOT! Wish me luck :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi
Funny i was thinking about doing the same as i have a little bastard on order too.
Had a mail from lee at ashdown today telling me they will be releasing a cab for the little bastard too
It is a 2x12 and looks stunning i have a pic so if you want to see one just mail me

also some pics from usa namm here
mehttp://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485143&page=12

Edited by spaners

[quote name='spaners' post='740532' date='Feb 10 2010, 12:43 AM']Hi
Funny i was thinking about doing the same as i have a little bastard on order too.
Had a mail from lee at ashdown today telling me they will be releasing a cab for the little bastard too
It is a 2x12 and looks stunning i have a pic so if you want to see one just mail me

also some pics from usa namm here
mehttp://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485143&page=12[/quote]

Hi spaners,
The long wait is not helped by the lack of information from Ashdown. I got email over a month ago - 05/01/10 about the 2x12 cab promising spec to follow but nothing yet. I've seen their picture of 'The Little Bastard Rig' is that the cab you're referring to?
TBH the thought of a 2x12 cab just to handle a 30 Watt amp is almost as annoying as their advertising line -"The Little Bastard head partners perfectly with a range of Ashdown US Series cabinets". "US Series" - with the smallest a 500 Watt 1x15 going up to a 1600 Watt 8x10, I wonder how many of them a 30 Watt tube amp will 'drive'? :)
I've been meaning to email Ashdown again, I will now.

Ive asked ashdown for more info too, couldnt workout how to add a photo so put a pic of the cab up as my profile pic.
Seems to me that most bass cabs are very high on the output watage and therefor more expensive, it would seem that in the world of bass big is the fastion , grate if you want to play a large room . There seems to be very little in the way of good quality home oriantated hardwear . persanly i like the look and size of the orange isobaric cabs but again there designed to be mated up with high output bass amps and aint cheap nearly £600 for the 2x12 .
I have to admit that i will probably get the ashdown cab to match the head but im guna gess i wont like the price lol
As most speakers are rated for sound performance with an input signal of 1w at a distance of 1 meter im gessing the max input power rating of the speaker dosnt reflect a greater minimum input .
An example of this in pracice would be my m8s rig a 4x12 marshall he bought a 1/4 w blackheart killer ant head and that drives the speakers no prob and sounds great , i would expect prity much the same would be true on a bass cab with a low output amp in a home enviroment.

update to last post
In the time its taken me to put the last post up ive recived another mail from ashdown

Hey Steve,

The cab's will be UK made and the RRP will be £449. They should be available the same time as the head which will be Aprilish fingers crossed.

Hope this helps and any other queries just ask.

All the best,

Lee

Gota say im impressed with the speed that ashdown have replyed to my mails and i am saving for the cab as of now :)

[quote name='spaners' post='741351' date='Feb 10 2010, 07:29 PM']Gota say im impressed with the speed that ashdown have replyed to my mails and i am saving for the cab as of now :)[/quote]

Yep - I've had 2 emails from Lee since then, can't fault them for support & it looks like things are happening on schedule(ish).

I'll tell ya one thing though - I ain't payin no £449 for a home practice cab! :rolleyes: