Why become a member? ×

Some Good News Leads To GAS!

Hot Tub

Got a promotion at work recently, and at the same time, but unrelated, I had decided I needed to have a GearClear. Now, apart from my instruments and MarkBass combo, pretty much everything I used was Behringer. I absolutely will not slate Behringer; the gear I bought, mostly second/third hand, worked reliably [u]every[/u] day. It did what I wanted it to do and allowed me to experiment with different signal chain configurations without breaking the bank. I even had a couple of jam sessions with a mate from work (first time ever!) and he was impressed with the sounds I was getting.

But, times change. I've sold pretty much everything (except instruments and the MarkBass beastie!). I got rid of mixers, an active DI box, a tuner, my Boss multi-effects unit has also gone, and after asking for some opinions from you wonderful people and trawling old threads on here, I've replaced it all with an Ashdown Perfect Ten combo and a Korg Pitchblack tuner. The Ashdown combo will be a helluva lot easier to take to impromptu jams at friends' homes, and since it accepts an input from an MP3 player or similar, I can still play along/learn new stuff. [1]

I'm keeping the CMD103H though for "special occasions", eg. when the neighbours are away! [2]

Anyhooo, the main difference I've noticed is in the sound of my bass. Whether it's down to vastly simplifying the signal chain, or "upgrading" to better gear, or a combination of both, I don't know. But the difference is amazing! I can hear the instrument and what I'm doing with it, rather than the equipment I'm playing it through.

Hot Tub is happy!

:)

[1] The only piece of Behringer kit I've kept is the BDI21 amp modelling DI pedal. I rate that as a truly exceptional little gadget for the money!

[2] The 103 combo will be used in anger in a couple of weeks time. It's Mrs HT's 40th birthday, and I'm gonna do 3 or 4 songs with the band. We're rehearsing next week. First time ever (and I'm older than most Time Lords!!!).

Edited by Hot Tub