Why become a member? ×

Stereo MC's Creation:

iconic

Old song I heard on the radio today,

this is a very simple but catchy bassline....C, D#, F, low F sounds Ok to my untrained ear...simple...so what?

....silly thing but this has been bugging me since I got home....just how is the bass player making that wonderful loose, slack, metallic sounding pop on the top C at the start of almost every bar, sometimes in a group such as at @2:16 at the bar start...there must be more going on than a simple octave pop?

.....I sure can't that lovely tone on my jazz no matter how I twiddle for tone, the closest I can get is if I pop both the lower and top C together or slap the top C on the G string, but slap on the top C?...any ideas?

like I said, a silly thing but it's puzzling me?

hi,
i used to love the album that this tune came from. i can remember reading an interview with them at the time, in which the guy (can't remember his name) said that he recorded the bass parts using an old short-scale bass made by a real budget make called Sattelite. i used to own one !! it was awful, and i couldn't believe that he got that tone out of it !
i don't know if this helps, i just thought it was interesting, and proved that clever studio production can make anything sound good !!

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='710421' date='Jan 12 2010, 07:14 PM']in fact, after listening to it again, i can't be sure that the note you're talking about wasn't overdubbed on top of the normal bassline. they were, after all, one of those bands at the forefront of sampling technology, so i wouldn't scratch your head too much about the technique.[/quote]

you know I was wondering that myself, almost like a low c slap and then high c slap dubbed on top....also if I slap and pop the same high C I'm getting sort of close but not fast enough!

....very individual sound but I do like it!

...nice bit of history on the production, thanks, sure was a great CD

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='710451' date='Jan 12 2010, 07:33 PM']I'm not sure what you mean here. The [b]bass sound is pretty ordinary to me[/b]...or am I missing something. This band probably sampled everything, then messed about with it.

I don't trust bass sounds on record these days, as there's so much you can do to them via EQ, effects, etc.[/quote]

Blasphemer, heretic stone him. :)

I was only listening to the MC's the other day. Great album, great track. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly what they've done.

well bash my balls with an iron bar, I managed to ask the question of the original bass player, but it seems it may have been something to do with the production afterall, very decent of bass player to return my mail from someone who doesn't even know.... :), what a cracking guy

...I don't think I have ever met a bass player who wasn't decent guy

[quote name='iconic' post='714792' date='Jan 16 2010, 01:14 PM']well bash my balls with an iron bar, I managed to ask the question of the original bass player, but it seems it may have been something to do with the production afterall, very decent of bass player to return my mail from someone who doesn't even know.... :), what a cracking guy

...I don't think I have ever met a bass player who wasn't decent guy[/quote]
can you enlighten me further please ? :rolleyes: , i'm curious !