Why become a member? ×

MIA Fender Jazz V standard

Sibob

Has anyone out there got an American Fender Jazz 5 Standard that they could give their opinions on please. Sound, if you're also the owner of a MIA standard 4, how does it compare?

Pics are obviously always welcome, and and decent sound clips perhaps!

Cheers
Si

I, like most of us here have tried / played almost everything on the market from cheap crap to expensive exotica.

After endless searching I decided to find a 5 string neck I could really play with no preconceptions. And I found to my horror that a Fender American Standard Jazz 5 was the answer. I never considered a fender before as the rumours of poor quality control and average sound for the money put me off.

I found the answer was to change the pickups for Nordstands as the fenders are poor in comparison.

If you like the neck profile then go for it as the tweaks to the pickups and preamp are endless.

Here's a pic of my two......I liked the Jazz so much I bought a second one and got the nice chaps at the gallery to put on an ebony lined fretless board.

[attachment=40058:Fender_U...ard_5__s.JPG]

[quote name='voxpop' post='710161' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:17 PM']I, like most of us here have tried / played almost everything on the market from cheap crap to expensive exotica.

After endless searching I decided to find a 5 string neck I could really play with no preconceptions. And I found to my horror that a Fender American Standard Jazz 5 was the answer. I never considered a fender before as the rumours of poor quality control and average sound for the money put me off.

I found the answer was to change the pickups for Nordstands as the fenders are poor in comparison.

If you like the neck profile then go for it as the tweaks to the pickups and preamp are endless.

Here's a pic of my two......I liked the Jazz so much I bought a second one and got the nice chaps at the gallery to put on an ebony lined fretless board.[/quote]
+1

I have one too that I bought from Gary Williams last year and like you, I think they really have something to offer! It's a great bass to gig with; very light, very responsive, is really well made and is a joy to play. And because Gary upgraded the pick ups to custom wound Aeros, as well as having a Badass bridge fitted, it's also sounds fantastic! The low B is pretty good for a 34" scale neck too.

[attachment=40084:jazz_1.jpg]

Works brilliantly with my Eden Metro and really complements my Roscoe Beck 5, which offers similar F/jazz characteristics albeit with a few more tonal options...

(thanks to Gary for the photo)

Edited by silverfoxnik

[quote name='Sibob' post='710721' date='Jan 12 2010, 10:45 PM']Cheers guys....I'm thinking about it lol

Si[/quote]

Check the ebay links- I found a really cheap MIA Jazz V

For what its worth, the Jazz V was the first 5 string I ever tried and the only reason I didn't go with it in the end was because I was already breaking one personal rule-no more than 4 strings, so figured I'd defect to a Gibson while I was at it, very cheeky!
:)

Recently got a Jazz 5 American Deluxe from another basschatter- Initially I thought ( after my Warwick Thumb was almost damaged on a gig ) that a "gig" bass was the way to go. If anything happened to it- the odd ding or drop- I wouldnt really be bothered.

However after setting it up properly I absolutely love it. Plays great- much better ( easier ) than my Warwick, is light enough for long sessions, looks fabulous- sunburst, sparkly white scratchguard, rosewood fretboard.

Sounds fantastic through both my markbass and marshall amps. It doesnt have the tonal range of my Warwick but fits really well in a band mix.

I play in a 7 piece soul band and it really looks the part, much better than my Warwick I think- more classic bass.

Cheers

Bob

Cheers for that ebay link, although I think there's a little bit too much going against it for me. For me it would need a refinish, and that bumps it up to normal prices, and the 5 in a line is putting me off. Then newer 4-1 looks much nicer!

I've owned a Deluxe 4 before but really disliked the preamp......and since then have disliked most preamps I've tried haha. I'm very much a passive kinda guy, so will stick with the standards for now :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='711017' date='Jan 13 2010, 10:45 AM']Cheers for that ebay link, although I think there's a little bit too much going against it for me. For me it would need a refinish, and that bumps it up to normal prices, and the 5 in a line is putting me off. Then newer 4-1 looks much nicer!

I've owned a Deluxe 4 before but really disliked the preamp......and since then have disliked most preamps I've tried haha. I'm very much a passive kinda guy, so will stick with the standards for now :)

Si[/quote]

i have an mim standard jazz with the older 5 in a row (i agree the 4+1 looks nicer) and i must say that despite the slightly poor build quality (don't get me wrong its a solid bass its not going to fall apart on me) it is a really nice bass. i gave it a decent set up and the factory settings were quite poor tbh. i got it intonated and it plays really nice. did a recording session on the 11th and the engineer commented on how nice the bass sounds. sits really well in the mix without too much tweaking. just both pickups open to 80% tone rolled half off and you've got yourself a tasty tone.

The new MIA Standard 4's are amazing. Great build quality and loads of improvements on the last lot (IMO) - the sound of mine has "changed the whole band sound" according to much of the audience! You wont go wrong with one... highly recommend