Why become a member? ×

We Play Through a 4000w PA

Phaedrus

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='715216' date='Jan 16 2010, 09:25 PM'][b]I do understand the joy of owning and playing through a 100w valve half-stack, and if I played guitar, I'd probably also aspire to something like that[/b]. For a guitarist who likes that set-up and has used it in every band he's been in, the prospect of arriving to play a gig with a liittle box like a 1x12 combo would probably make him feel less of a man[/quote]Yes, sure, it is lovely to play through something with such power -- [i]but it is complete total and utter overkill for a pub gig[/i]. Add to that a loud drummer, and a 4kw PA simply to try to keep a balance out front, and you've got bleeding ears and no chance of another gig at that pub. If you seriously want to lower on-stage volumes, that guitar amp has got to go and the drummer's got to have a bit of a think too.

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='716003' date='Jan 17 2010, 08:56 PM']Thing is, if they're moving from 100w valve power & 4x12s to under 50w and 1x12, a fair question to me would be "then why are you moving to 450w & 4x10s?"

I think know the answers:

1. Valve power is very different to solid-state power.
2. Although low frequencies are less directional than higher frequencies, they don't travel as well as them, so as the frequencies being amplified go lower, the power required to do the job has to increase. Witness the common PA practice of 2/3 of a system's power going to the subs and 1/3 going to the mains - that's what we're doing: 3000w to four 1x18" subs and 1500w going to the two 2x15" mains.
3. The footprint of the TVX410 isn't hugely bigger than a 1x12 guitar combo.

If you guys can add anything that I've left out, please do.

On the stage cloth, where do I go to read more? Sounds interesting.

Mark[/quote]

Here's a few:

Bass players need a powerful amp with loads of clean headroom. Guitarists need to drive amps and speakers.
I can turn my amp right down and it will sound the same albeit quieter, when a guitarist turns down the sound changes.
We need larger cabs to get the low end, not to make us look cool

Trust me, once they've used a high class small valve combo the Marshall stacks will be gathering dust!

Realistically, bassists have always had to adjust to other musicians, we rarely dictate the onstage volume levels.

EDIT: Btw, the Orange amp i mentioned can still go very loud, it's by no means a compromise really. I think guitarists sometimes have trouble with the small box = big volume thing, almost like they don't want to accept that their beloved stacks are redundant :)

Edited by lemmywinks