Why become a member? ×

Lakland - 4-94

chrisgil

Bought the Lakland off someone on bass world months ago.

Ever since Ive had it set up I have had nothing but trouble with it.
The neck is constantly bending, and now there is a metallic vibration sound on the A string.

Any ideas what the problem is. Or are they renound for going out so much having such thin necks?

Christian

Can you post a close up picture of the A string at the nut? If it's not bending down after going over the nut it will rattle. You can bend it yourself, or wind the string better on the peg - ie. ending up at the bottom of the peg.

[quote name='chrisgil' post='77826' date='Oct 22 2007, 06:52 PM']Bought the Lakland off someone on bass world months ago.

Ever since Ive had it set up I have had nothing but trouble with it.
The neck is constantly bending, and now there is a metallic vibration sound on the A string.

Any ideas what the problem is. Or are they renound for going out so much having such thin necks?

Christian[/quote]

Sounds like your bass has been set up incorrectly or the neck has moved since.
Was the set up done by someone of repute?
There is no generic problem with Laklands in that department.
Take it to a reknowned guitar tech and explain your problem- many things can cause the problem you have.

[quote name='Mike' post='78146' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:38 AM']Can you post a close up picture of the A string at the nut? If it's not bending down after going over the nut it will rattle. You can bend it yourself, or wind the string better on the peg - ie. ending up at the bottom of the peg.[/quote]

+1 on the string winding! My Geddy Lee Jazz has the same problem... Because I use such thin strings, I have to make sure the string is wound top to bottom to ensure maximum tension (curiously enough also on the A-string!)

I've also found that the GLJ having a very thin shaved neck does tend to go out of true. Make sure there's a little bit of neck relief there... And that there's no play in the neck relief screw. (The Fender ones in particular sometimes come with the screw in the centre so it's loose!) Looking down the neck from the headstock end, make sure there's a slight kink towards the top. That'll give you better overall string clearance. Keeping the instrument in a well fitted hard case helps as well.

All strings on all basses should be wound on the post of the tuner from top to bottom. This reduces the pull and strain on the post. You should also have the strings wrap around the truning post about 3 times. But you knew that already....