Why become a member? ×

Headphone Booster

Higgie

Ok, so a friend of mine has one ear that doesn't hear as well as the other one, and even that one isn't as good as it should be, and she finds that when listening to music through her computer via headphones, she can't get enough volume as she'd like. Is there something out there that would plug in-line between the headphones and the computer that could boost the volume? If not, is there anyone here that could build me a little box that would do this? Ideally it would just have one knob for volume, an input and an output jack.

Cheers

James

[quote name='Higgie' post='705033' date='Jan 8 2010, 12:04 AM']Ok, so a friend of mine has one ear that doesn't hear as well as the other one, and even that one isn't as good as it should be, and she finds that when listening to music through her computer via headphones, she can't get enough volume as she'd like. Is there something out there that would plug in-line between the headphones and the computer that could boost the volume? If not, is there anyone here that could build me a little box that would do this? Ideally it would just have one knob for volume, an input and an output jack.

Cheers

James[/quote]

Hi James.

I use one of these with my PC and its very good. Im not sure how much of a boost you need but it does make a difference on my PC. It might not be quite what your looking for though. Your welcome to borrow it for a few days if your friend wanted to test it out.
Its about the size of a ipod Shuffle and very light. It runs of a built in rechargeable battery that can be charged from a USB port.

[url="http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/fiio-e5-headphone-amplifier-in-black-prodid-1150.html"]FiiO E5[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Higgie' post='705033' date='Jan 8 2010, 12:04 AM']Ok, so a friend of mine has one ear that doesn't hear as well as the other one, and even that one isn't as good as it should be, and she finds that when listening to music through her computer via headphones, she can't get enough volume as she'd like. Is there something out there that would plug in-line between the headphones and the computer that could boost the volume? If not, is there anyone here that could build me a little box that would do this? Ideally it would just have one knob for volume, an input and an output jack.

Cheers

James[/quote]
Boostaroo!

[url="http://www.pjbox.co.uk/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=447"]http://www.pjbox.co.uk/store/cart.php?m=pr...etail&p=447[/url]

I have a battery powered version and it's great, but the above version is powered off USB.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='705353' date='Jan 8 2010, 12:01 PM']Hi James.

I use one of these with my PC and its very good. Im not sure how much of a boost you need but it does make a difference on my PC. It might not be quite what your looking for though. Your welcome to borrow it for a few days if your friend wanted to test it out.
Its about the size of a ipod Shuffle and very light. It runs of a built in rechargeable battery that can be charged from a USB port.

[url="http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/fiio-e5-headphone-amplifier-in-black-prodid-1150.html"]FiiO E5[/url][/quote]

Very kind of you Dave. I'd very much like to take you up on that offer! PM me and we'll sort it out.

And thanks Pete for the link, if Dave's unit doesn't do what she is after I will tell her to take a look at this one!