Why become a member? ×

Markbass Super Pro DI - Advice Needed

absolutpepper

Hey,

Looking for a bit of advice on the Markbass Super Pro DI. Im heading into the studio to record soon and having learned from past experiences Id like to get a high quality DI to balance my signal before firing it into the mixing desk.

The issue I have is that upon reading about the DI the info seems to make mention of it being specifically designed for active basses. I won't be recording with any active basses but really like everything about this DI. I will be using 3 basses in the studio - a Rickenbacker 4003 (which has a massive output so I dont anticipate any issues there), a CV Series Squier Jazz (oddly the nicest Jazz i've ever played - and i've played a few!) and a 2009 Reissue Dan Armstong ADA4 Plexi.

None are active and all have different output levels and tonal qualities I am looking to harness - so I guess the question is how well will it work with these passive instruments or am I wasting my money?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

[quote name='clauster' post='704226' date='Jan 7 2010, 02:37 PM']It's a passive DI box.

My understanding is that you need an active DI for passive basses. Either will work for active basses.[/quote]

Thanks,

I had a suspicion I was being quite dense about it. Can anyone recommend a good quality Active DI box which is specifically voiced for bass within a £100 budget?

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='704269' date='Jan 7 2010, 03:04 PM']Thanks,

I had a suspicion I was being quite dense about it. Can anyone recommend a good quality Active DI box which is specifically voiced for bass within a £100 budget?[/quote]

Wont the studio supply this?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='704372' date='Jan 7 2010, 04:22 PM']Wont the studio supply this?[/quote]

Most likely, I know it wouldn't be essential but i'd like to have one anyways (I do a lot of home recording and gigging) so it would be a handy tool. Im thinking of the plumping a bit extra and going for the Aguilar Tone Hammer, gets quite the praise around the net.

Edited by absolutpepper

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='704388' date='Jan 7 2010, 04:29 PM']Most likely, I know it wouldn't be essential but i'd like to have one anyways (I do a lot of home recording and gigging) so it would be a handy tool. Im thinking of the plumping a bit extra and going for the Aguilar Tone Hammer, gets quite the praise around the net.[/quote]

That makes sense.

I've been reading up on the TH over the past few days. Very interesting box.
Im thinking of getting one (or a Sansamp VT Bass) just to add some warmth and depth to my tone. Not interested in DI so the VT might win out.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='704396' date='Jan 7 2010, 04:34 PM']That makes sense.

I've been reading up on the TH over the past few days. Very interesting box.
Im thinking of getting one (or a Sansamp VT Bass) just to add some warmth and depth to my tone. Not interested in DI so the VT might win out.[/quote]

Well, there looks like there's a new VT Bass being unveiled at Winter Namm next week so I'd keep an eye on that. There's a thread in the Effects forum which has a link to TB where a user has posted a pic. Looks pretty interesting.

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='705151' date='Jan 8 2010, 09:21 AM']Well, there looks like there's a new VT Bass being unveiled at Winter Namm next week so I'd keep an eye on that. There's a thread in the Effects forum which has a link to TB where a user has posted a pic. Looks pretty interesting.[/quote]

Yeah, im already in that thread. I will wait and see what its like but to be honest the current one does more than i need and its bound to be cheaper than the new one.
At the moment ive just started to use a Behringer BDI21 and it sounds fine for what i need it for, might not even need to get anything else for a while.

Edited by dave_bass5