Why become a member? ×

Is there anyone in Southampton who can lend me a double bass?

Duarte

Okay next week I'm off to Southampton to record an EP with my brother who is at University there. This project means I must use my double bass, but apparently it is 'too big' and they will not allow it on the train.

SO is there anyone in Southampton kind enough to be able to let me borrow a double bass from monday - friday next week? I know it's a long shot, but worth a try.

Just in case you might be interested, the recording is going to comprise of 5 children's songs, and once it is done I would love to share it with you guys.

Thanks

Zak

[quote name='Duarte' post='702626' date='Jan 6 2010, 11:27 AM']Okay next week I'm off to Southampton to record an EP with my brother who is at University there. This project means I must use my double bass, but apparently it is 'too big' and they will not allow it on the train.[/quote]

I'm in Glasgow so can't help there, but for future reference I've travelled on trains a lot with the double bass, and have never asked permission in advance - I suspect that your problem comes from doing this, and ending up with some jobsworth automatically saying "no".

Some long distance trains have a guard's van you can put the instrument in, otherwise I try to locate the bike area ahead of the crowd and prop the double bass up in the corner there. Another good one, assuming it is not in use, is the area reserved for a wheelchair user. Of course, in this case be prepared to move the bass should a wheelchair user require it.

There are sometimes other nooks and crannies that the bass can go in, and you can sometimes get it in a seat itself, but be prepared to end up standing next to it in a vestibule. On a long journey this can be a hassle, but hey ho.

Jennifer

[quote name='Duarte' post='702773' date='Jan 6 2010, 01:08 PM']Thanks for the reply. I thought this might be the case - and it's true - a bass is not that much bigger than a few bikes or something like that. I'll just hop on the train and see what happens![/quote]
I travel on trains with my upright regularly - by which I mean 4 or more journeys a week. No hassle. I often whip the strap off the case and wrap it around the neck and any suitable fixtures. Sometimes I get asked if it's mine, and usually get the response, 'just checking - did you know the door opens on that side at Woking?' or somesuch.

Pete the singer in my band used to sing in Southern Tenant Folk Union and their bassist always went to gigs by tube. Pete's standard joke getting on packed trains with his acoustic guitar and merchandise bag was to say "if you hate me, wait until the bassist comes along"!

Is it in a gig bag or had case? Presumably 3/4 size? I can't see a problem unless you have loads of other bags too.

[quote name='Duarte' post='703039' date='Jan 6 2010, 04:24 PM']Awesome. Anyone have any experience getting across the underground with one?[/quote]
I used to have a residency at 'Ain't Nothing But...' in Kingly St, Soho, and I'd come up from Winchester by train. I did it twice a month for a couple of years, but it's not far on the underground. Again no problems that I remember.

Yeah it's 3/4 - the hardcase is big enough to accomodate a full size so I'll just take the gig bag. Thanks for the replys guys, you've put my mind at rest. I'll bring the clothes I am wearing, and maybe some more stuffed into the bass case (so no more bags) - I'll be spending the week with 3rd year students in their house, so I doubt that I'll bother them if I begin to smell.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I managed it no problem. The worst bit was some steep stairs on the underground...and on the way back I managed to catch rush hour. But it was a fun experience.

The recording went extremely well, took us a week to lay down the bass tracks and they sound pretty good. When they're all mixed and that I'll put them up on here.

Cheers guys.