Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM - EVO II Vs. EVO III

redzombie

As the proud owner of an ABM EVO II head, I'm wondering what the differences are to the newer Chinese-made EVO III models. Since I'm too lazy to find an EVO III to try out, has anyone here had a go on both?

I've no intention of getting rid of my EVO II, at least not for an EVO III. I'm just curious is all. In fact for a tube-amp lover (who's too poor to afford one), I've actually really started to like my ABM lately, to the extent where my VT Bass has been seeing more action with my guitar than bass of late.

The EVO III has a built in compressor that the II doesn't have. I've never used one so couldn't say how effective it is. According to Ashdown's blurb the power amp has been upgraded in some way but again I haven't used one so I don't know if there's a significant improvement over the EVO II.

I had an EVO II and very stupidly sold it and bought an LM3 just because I was getting too lazy to carry a heavy amp around. Like you I like the sound of tubes and for me the ABM does that fat tube tone better than anything else I've tried and I really miss the sound of that amp. They're making some in the UK again now so I'm very tempted to get another one.

Built in compressor eh? Interesting addition, although not something I'd probably use myself.

Nice to hear they're making them in the UK again, hopefully they'll keep it that way. As you said, very tubey for a solid state amp :)

(Yeah, yeah, it has a single 12AX7 in the preamp, so what? :rolleyes: )

I owned a UK-made EVO-II, it got stolen so now I have an EVO-III. Doesn't seem to be much difference sound-wise, hard to tell without having done a direct A/B.

To be honest the built-in compressor is junk, I'd never use it.

The only other major difference I noticed is that the EVO-III only has speakon outs, I'm sure the EVO-II had jacks too!

[quote name='redzombie' post='698163' date='Jan 1 2010, 05:46 PM']Nice to hear they're making them in the UK again, hopefully they'll keep it that way.[/quote]

I'm not too sure what the situation is about that. I've seen a couple of shops selling Ashdowns which they say are UK made but I don't know if they're limited runs.

[quote name='Le Chat Noir' post='698203' date='Jan 1 2010, 06:14 PM']..... the EVO-III only has speakon outs, I'm sure the EVO-II had jacks too![/quote]

My Evo3 has speakon outs that also take jacks.

(Not sure of the correct name for these combination type sockets).

never tried the evo 111,but i first had a evo11 made in the prc,had a slight issue with it so changed it for a uk made one.imo the uk made one has more balls than the prc one,although ashdown said they would be exactly the same.i would not swap mine for a evo111 simply because i love the sound of mine and its a uk model!

[quote name='Mr.T' post='698304' date='Jan 1 2010, 07:39 PM']My Evo3 has speakon outs that also take jacks.

(Not sure of the correct name for these combination type sockets).[/quote]

+1 I have a klystron evo iii and it has jack & speakon out in a dual socket.

Also, I use the compressor all the time and it's really useful - admittedly only very sligtly to even things out.

I've played an abm evo ii before and they both sound very similar. I only got a klystron because it was made in the UK and I got a good deal on it.

By now one of my amps is a MAG 4x10 combo, but I'm almost sure I'm gonna buy a (rarely) used ABM 500 evo II with its 4x10 ABM 410 cab tomorrow from a guy living here, then I'll sell my combo.

The vendor told me he felt his evo II sounded slightly louder than an evo III he once tried (same wattage), but that's just his word and perception... I personally don't mind buying the earlier version, my MAG doesn't have the comp. either and I've never felt it was a lacking feature, I wasn't even told so well about those "overeasy-like" comp. knobs spotted on newer Ashdowns... in my experience, if you need compression while playing live, it's better to add it post-amp, relying on the pro racks besides the mixer which affect the PA sound, especially if you use "tubey" amps such as Ash or Ampeg, whose warmth reacts to your dynamics. If you want to use compression as a colouring FX, IMHO there are some nice "lo-fi" stomp boxes around doing it.... I personally used to like the Compression-Sustainer, if you think of it as a box which literally squashes your sound and therefore compresses it.

I've had both, have the EVOIII now. Agree, the compressor is shocking, so I don't use it but other than that it's really more of the same powerful, full of tone, Ashdown sound. I only really upgraded from EVOII because I got a cab and the pedal board with it for a bargain price!

As I wrote a couple of days ago, now I have the ABM evo II as well... great thing, deeper and more articulated (I'd say keener to deliver "pro-tone") than the MAG, I coldn't care less about the evo III add ons. Just one thing: the footswitch was not in bundle with the evo II, right?!? I thought so a first, but the vendor told me he didn't get any with the head... by the way, that's not a big matter, for the (low) price I got it

• 11 years later...