Why become a member? ×

Help: Bass into guitar head then bass cab?

Beedster

I'm currently practicing using a Phil Jones Bass Buddy into an old H&H 100w/4ohm 15" cab which is great for the living room and doesn't sound too bad cranked up (can you crank 10w?), and gigging through my Mesa M-Pulse. I could really use an in-between setup; as a band we rehearse at low volume and we also play a lot of low level gigs, and I hate having to lug the Mesa around only to use it at Gain<1/Master<1. What are your thoughts on whether I could use one of our guitarist's heads (60w or thereabouts) through the above bass cab?

Yes I know, I shouldn't have sold my Markbass combo, but I'm pretty much having to sell everything that isn't 100% necessary in order to pay for the new Precision :)

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='oldmanrock' post='694959' date='Dec 28 2009, 05:16 PM']As far as I know all guitar heads will work down to 4ohm.[/quote]

Nah, none of the five guitar heads in my practice room go to 4. Three Marshalls, a Mesa and an Ibanez. Generally guitar heads will do one or two sixteens or one eight.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='694974' date='Dec 28 2009, 05:27 PM']Nah, none of the five guitar heads in my practice room go to 4. Three Marshalls, a Mesa and an Ibanez. Generally guitar heads will do one or two sixteens or one eight.[/quote]

+1
Have only seen a very small number of guitar heads that come down to four ohms.
The typical marshall set up is 2x16´s or one 8, though the TSL100 I had did do 4.
Laney are the same.
Havent seen too many HH amps though.

[quote name='Beedster' post='695043' date='Dec 28 2009, 06:48 PM']Thanks guys. The amps in question are, apparently, capable of 4ohms, but given that they're not cheap, and given it's a bass, and given it's not all that important anyway, I'll not risk it and end up having to buy a new one!

Cheers

Chris[/quote]

Well, the thing is that if you can get a 4Ohm load into it, then you're totally fine. There's nothing wrong with sticking a bass into a guitar head (bassists didn't used to have the choice since there didn't used to be dedicated bass heads). The only issues you'll ever get doing that are with the speakers, but since it's a bass speaker it's fine. FWIW I only use guitar heads for recording bass.