Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB2024

BB2000

[quote name='BB2000' post='694600' date='Dec 27 2009, 11:38 PM']I see a few UK retailers now stock the Yamaha BB2024 basses. Has anyone familiar with the BB2000/3000 models tried one?[/quote]

Not tried one yet but I have a BB2000. At over 2 grand the BB2024 seems a mite overpriced to me. No doubt a great bass but that's a lot of dosh for a bolt on version of the original which would cost you considerably less. If you can find one that is! A rare and beautiful bass.

[quote name='ikay' post='696385' date='Dec 30 2009, 03:11 PM']Not tried one yet but I have a BB2000. At over 2 grand the BB2024 seems a mite overpriced to me. No doubt a great bass but that's a lot of dosh for a bolt on version of the original which would cost you considerably less. If you can find one that is! A rare and beautiful bass.[/quote]

I have a BB2000 (three of them!) but the BB2024 isn't trying to be a BB2000.

[quote]These'll be what they had at Manchester Bassday I suspect? I'm sure they've superbly well made but I can't see how the price difference between them and the cheap BB's is justified.

Wait 6 months and I suspect they'll be heavily discounted.[/quote]

I suppose one could make the comparison between Fender CS and Chinese Squires. I doubt if they'll fall below the £1600 mark (the pricing of the BB3000) unless they are discontinued (the BB3000MA models were sold of at $550). I would certainly consider paying £1600 for one.

Fender fans conveniently forget that it was ex Yamaha employees (who built the BB1200 and BB2000 basses) who dug Fender out of the hole they were in in the early 80's. The Yamaha Japan QA has always been first rate, so I'd be interested to see how these compare build wise to the Fender CS basses.

I own an old BB300, and i've played 1200s, and one 3000. I have also sold shitloads of 414/415 and 614/615s and 714s.

Spend a fair bit of time with Dave from Yamaha at the stand talking about them.

These basses are fantastic, i'm waiting for Dave to get the go-ahead to sell me a 'car stock' one in a year or so once they've released them into the shops (hopefully dirty cheap).

Thing is, they're for the yamaha fanboys, not the Fender Custom shop punters. They were developed by Yamaha with Yamaha artists who all play variants on the BB basses.

I've read so much from the top end punters, and the Fender boys (me being a Fender boy) about '£2k for a Yamaha? Pfft' and some folks should really get a grip.

I'd have one at the drop of a hat, a really funky looking bass, with loads of classic sounds. If you want a fender 'type' bass, without it being Fender-ish (Lull, Sadowsky, Nordy etc), then this makes perfect sense.

Sunburst is the winner for me. 70's as fook.

They aren't intended to revive Yamaha's bass chunk of the bass market. If you don't want to pay £2000, get a 414x, which looks similar enough.

The neck. by the way is just like my 300's in profile - a winner.
Buy one!

I think they're over priced; I reckon around £1500 - £1600 street would be more realistic and more into Sadowsky Metro territory however...

The white one with the black plate is bite-the-back-of-your-hand gorgeous though and I love the 3D shaped shoulder on it - I could certainly use that with flats on as my working P bass :)

Edited by Sean

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Sean' post='696758' date='Dec 30 2009, 09:26 PM']I think they're over priced; I reckon around £1500 - £1600 street would be more realistic and more into Sadowsky Metro territory however...

The white one with the black plate is bite-the-back-of-your-hand gorgeous though and I love the 3D shaped shoulder on it - I could certainly use that with flats on as my working P bass :rolleyes:[/quote]

I played a white one today and it is the best passive bolt on bass I have ever played. Absolute killer and kicks every Lakland, Fender, Sadowsky, Nordy, Roscoe or whatever I have played into touch. It was light, the neck was incredible and the tone was as good as tone can be for my ears. It's not polite, it's not subtle, it just rocks with such massive heft that it's impossible to put down and walk away from. I had zero expectation and am still floored by it. Build quality is perfect; why it had just 4/5 for build in BGM is beyond me. It's not often I go completely bonkers for an instrument that's not a Spector but this bass is beyond special and I take back what I said above. I've seen the light Jake Blues style! :)

Edited by Sean

Bass Direct is the place but these basses are few and far between. The production numbers are low as you might expect for a hand built high end instrument. I'm not a Yamaha fan or anything (and at £2.5k I didn't think I ever would be), I don't dislike Yam , I have had a couple of their guitars and been really happy with them but this model is so ass kickingly brilliant it has to be played to be believed. I miss this bass and I only played it for an hour or so. Nothing is quite the same now. If it had another string it would be perfect. Don't worry, they're doing 5-stringers by the summer.

I remember watching a video of James Lomenzo demoing some bass riffs somewhere and he was playing a lovely black BB custom shop thing that I thought was quite nice so it looks like all that YASH (Yamaha Artist Services Hollywood) stuff has made it into a (albeit limited) production model. I'd love to blindfold a real bass snob and get them to play this instrument.

Edited by Sean