Why become a member? ×

Bass keeps shifting and slipping no matter what strap i use!

AttitudeCastle

Hey Guys!

(Hope every one enjoyed Christmas :rolleyes: )

I have been playing a lot of small gigs recently and since i move around more in a show than when i practise or rehearse i hadn't really noticed it, but my bass/ strap slides around while it holds my shirt, 1) Stretching my good shirts i got in japan! which i am yet to find any other like it =S (including my favourite :) )
and 2) the rubbing has really gnashed my shoulder and 3) means my bass keeps sliding out of position and i can only re-adjust after each song, and it just won't stay in place =S

i mean i have watched other bands live, stood next to fellow bassists etc and they just lift their bass, and the strap moves with it and they re-adjust it just like that! where am i going wrong!

grrrrrrrr

sorry guys i'm no good at describing things....

note i play with my Attitude parallel to the floor and use wide leather straps (I have two Moody leather straps which are comferatble but don't seem like they'll last constant use, though i could be wrong,??? anyone? so i tend to use Italia leather straps)

and i'm 5" 11 and growing, if that helps too, and i mean moving like interaction and walking nothing extreme =S

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give,

Happy Holidays and have a great 2010

=D

Adam,

[quote name='xgsjx' post='694591' date='Dec 27 2009, 11:27 PM']Sounds like it's your bass that's the problem. Change the strap button locations, failing that, change bass.[/quote]

I don't want to touch the strap buttons =S

And i can't change bass! my bass is perfect with my setup

(i tend to find problems in problems =S)

Maybe i should try other shirts, idk,

is that really the solution?

I mean, Sheehan doesn't have this problem

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='694613' date='Dec 28 2009, 12:11 AM']I don't want to touch the strap buttons =S

And i can't change bass! my bass is perfect with my setup

Maybe i should try other shirts, idk,

is that really the solution?[/quote]
The only other variable is the strap - maybe try a slidey poly one, a stretchy neoprene one. One of those daft-looking criss-cross ones...

[quote name='Zach' post='694615' date='Dec 28 2009, 12:16 AM']perhaps don't wear your favourite shirt for gigging. Surely it will end up ragged and sweaty?[/quote]

Well Look at Slashes Motorhead shirt, and its like my lucky pick, i don't even play with a pick :L

and thanks, yeah, i'll try as many as i can find, i first off and just have since used the widest flattest strap i can

hi adam i get my straps from a guy called ted from wales he makes them custom any size colour or style and could give you some
good advice on stopping this happening his email is [email protected] or search for personalised guitar strap on ebay that will take you to
his shop they are by far the best ive owned and teds super nice sent me a free extention for my strap and i dont use anything else now
they fit properly and look good thats all anyone needs ted will make your strap to extreme detail even down to the size of straploks you use
hope this helps if not move the strap buttons thats what stopped my t-bird nose diving

cheers ian

I'll put money on your strap having a suede or suede effect inner to the strap....?

Levys are like this, which is great if your bass is very nuetral balanced which it sounds like yours maynot be. Get a strap with natural finish on the leather on teh inside and it will move more freely (my PRS straps are the same hide but differing colors on both sides) these move easily over clothes teh Levys straps I have dont - they pull clothes around just as you describe.

Any help?