Why become a member? ×

valve Overdrive

SkinnyMike

Iv been looking for a decent valve overdrive and was wondering what is out there.
Iv checked out the EBS website and heard soundclips from the EBS valve drive pedal. Sounds pretty much exactly what im looking for (nice amount of overdrive which can also supply some slight distotrion) HOWEVER it's very pricey.

Iv tried a DHA eq drive pedal and that was just lovley and again after a bit of tweaking I could dial in a great tone, although as cool as they are with the custom paint jobs and what not, im not to hot on their look.

What other valve driven pedals could I have a look at which would deliver a really nice overdrive, whilst adding more warmth but ceeping the clarity and tone of my bass in tact?

Mike

Thanks for the quick replies, with regards to the Blackstar pedals, my guitarist has a HT dual. I had a crack with it a while back and to be honest I thought it just sucked all the bass out of my pedal. EQ tweaking sorted that but I dont think I would buy one if I had to tweak the EQ like that every time I wanted to use it on a different amp.

English muff'n looks good. I like the construction of it and im sure the dual valve could work a treat. Slightly worried about the fact its mainly a guitar pedal though, going to need to find some samples for it or try it out.

Been checking out more info on the EBS over on talkbass and harmony central and it sounds too good, Might have to go for one! Off to the wanted section :)

[quote name='Mike_SuperThursday' post='693820' date='Dec 26 2009, 05:05 PM']Thanks for the quick replies, with regards to the Blackstar pedals, my guitarist has a HT dual. I had a crack with it a while back and to be honest I thought it just sucked all the bass out of my pedal. EQ tweaking sorted that but I dont think I would buy one if I had to tweak the EQ like that every time I wanted to use it on a different amp.[/quote]

Valve change helps some, there are bass mods for them out there, but a clean blend is the true path.

If I could have two signals going to my amp, I would be much more inclined to try out various guitar pedals like the blackstar. Unfortunatly I don't know how id even go about doing that without owning two amps.

Does anyone know if it's possiable to split your signal with one pedal then merge two signals together just before going into the amp input?

[quote name='Mike_SuperThursday' post='693795' date='Dec 26 2009, 04:18 PM']Iv been looking for a decent valve overdrive and was wondering what is out there.
Iv checked out the EBS website and heard soundclips from the EBS valve drive pedal. Sounds pretty much exactly what im looking for (nice amount of overdrive which can also supply some slight distotrion) HOWEVER it's very pricey.

Iv tried a DHA eq drive pedal and that was just lovley and again after a bit of tweaking I could dial in a great tone, although as cool as they are with the custom paint jobs and what not, im not to hot on their look.

What other valve driven pedals could I have a look at which would deliver a really nice overdrive, whilst adding more warmth but ceeping the clarity and tone of my bass in tact?

Mike[/quote]

As I only build to order then you can request other paint jobs, lots have already done so.

Dave

[quote name='Mike_SuperThursday' post='693989' date='Dec 26 2009, 09:39 PM']Does anyone know if it's possiable to split your signal with one pedal then merge two signals together just before going into the amp input?[/quote]

A Boss LS-2 will do that for you, there's an A+B Mix option for the two loops.