Why become a member? ×

PC v Mac

WalMan

[quote name='bnt' post='77072' date='Oct 20 2007, 06:34 PM']The first post got it wrong on the hardware differences (there aren't many), and your post gives Apple credit they haven't earned and don't deserve.[/quote]
Blimey I did start a storm didn't I :)

I wasn't talking about hardware or software issues, but my moan seems to have blown into the usual polar opposite arguments between afficianados of PC's & Macs.

The point of the original post was that the PC (indeed all PC's I have ever been inside to work on) have been a mess of cables and a right fiddle to work on, as compared to the inside of the Mac, which is a place of calm and on the face of it a breeze to get at & work on, hence the comparative pictures. That's all! It came after a sweaty, sweary 1/2 day trying to fit a new hard drive in the PC to dedicate to recording.

[quote name='WalMan' post='77452' date='Oct 21 2007, 08:25 PM']Blimey I did start a storm didn't I :)

I wasn't talking about hardware or software issues, but my moan seems to have blown into the usual polar opposite arguments between afficianados of PC's & Macs.

The point of the original post was that the PC (indeed all PC's I have ever been inside to work on) have been a mess of cables and a right fiddle to work on, as compared to the inside of the Mac, which is a place of calm and on the face of it a breeze to get at & work on, hence the comparative pictures. That's all! It came after a sweaty, sweary 1/2 day trying to fit a new hard drive in the PC to dedicate to recording.[/quote]

It took you half a day do fit a HDD?

What were you doing? Machining out a cradle?

[quote name='Buzz' post='77490' date='Oct 21 2007, 09:38 PM']It took you half a day do fit a HDD?[/quote]
Well half a day is perhaps a bit of an exaggeration including[list]
[*]a number of "sod this" moments when I just walked away (including a "sod it I'll get an external box this is just too much hassle"),
[*]eventually getting it installed - all right I looked at the manual again & realised the front had to come off the PC as well as the side (yes I know, RTFM, and don't even start on that male failing "I've done this before. Piece of **** I don't need the manual/map/instructions"), :huh:
[*]in the process of inserting the drive it knocked the cable off the card reader in the slot above leading to another waste of time :huh:
[*]getting the HD back out,
[*]then the card reader,
[*]then reattaching the cable to that
[*]getting the HD back in making sure that it did not happen again
[*]farting around trying to get it recognised in BIOS once it was in, and yes perhaps I would have had to with the Mac. That is/was never my point
[*]eventually having to switch the data cable to a different socket on the MB,
[*]not being entirely convinced that the power was getting through at one point so swapping power cables around, :)
[*]then waiting for it to format - which I accept is not a problem of the machine, just a fact of life wherever the drive resides, but I had new software to install AND I WANTED TO PLAY!!! :huh:
[/list]Bitter experience had already told me to get the drive in and attached, but not put the side back on until the machine fired up and recognised the drive as there were bound to be issues - and I was right (see BIOS & power above).

[quote name='Buzz' post='77490' date='Oct 21 2007, 09:38 PM']What were you doing? Machining out a cradle?[/quote]
Well almost as there was no proper second drive cradle, just a slot where the floppy drive could live, so it was a bit of a bodge , now you come to mention it.

And again I say my point really was that with the Mac the side comes off, the drive slots in, you attach 2 cables to the drive, shut the side & there you go. No fighting through a sea of cables

Again by way of pictorial reference I proffer

PC [attachment=3045:PC_closeup.jpg] - Mac [attachment=3046:Mac_closeup.jpg]

QED

That is really all it was

Edited by WalMan

I loves me a good old Apple vs PC flame war.

I'd like say as someone who used to program graphics and peripheral drivers for OS X, but now programs 64bit Vista almost exclusively and uses XP at home, I have no strong feelings either way, they’re all much of a muchnes and as long as it lets me view the internet, Photoshop pictures, and write email I’m not that bothered.

Walman chap, I feel sorry for you, normally HDD's are a piece of cake to install.

Even if you have to bodge where they're sitting, normally just a case of:
Remove case panels, set the jumpers to suit (normally slave if it's an extra IDE, if SATA no jumpers at all) fit and screw in HDD, attach cables + minor moving about, put case back together and bingo.

S' a bit off you had to fettle with the BIOS though to get it to find the drive, I've never ever had that problem.

[quote name='Buzz' post='77801' date='Oct 22 2007, 05:55 PM']Walman chap, I feel sorry for you, normally HDD's are a piece of cake to install.

Even if you have to bodge where they're sitting, normally just a case of:
Remove case panels, set the jumpers to suit (normally slave if it's an extra IDE, if SATA no jumpers at all) fit and screw in HDD, attach cables + minor moving about, put case back together and bingo.

S' a bit off you had to fettle with the BIOS though to get it to find the drive, I've never ever had that problem.[/quote]
Precisely!! I have installed at least two HDD's previously no probs, this time it was just such a bloody fight.

Actually I didn't have to change the BIOS in the end as the drive did eventually autodetect once the data cable was switched to a different socket

• 2 months later...

'Generic' PCs always look messy. Especially no-name power supplies as they don't use cable tidying. PCs are getting tidier and tidier though. Modular power supplies, the change from IDE to SATA (no more band cables! that said you can buy slimline IDE cables) etc. My next build computer is going to have to be tidy since I'm getting a windowed case :)

Also considering that you're comparing a tower-size case (G5) to a Midi case...Midi PC cases are always a little on the cramped side, especially if you use a lot of hard drives. In the end a well thought out, well set up PC with good cable management is much prettier and easy to do upgrade work on.

It was fun actually.

Came to the conclusion that:

sh*t cases are sh*t, and Apple's cases arn't sh*t.

The OS's do different things, but for a PC use Linux if you're up to the change.

We like to debate and swear at inanimate objects.

Even so, bit of a thread revive from October.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='Buzz' post='119295' date='Jan 12 2008, 08:56 PM']It was fun actually.

Came to the conclusion that:

sh*t cases are sh*t, and Apple's cases arn't sh*t.

The OS's do different things, but for a PC use Linux if you're up to the change.

We like to debate and swear at inanimate objects.

Even so, bit of a thread revive from October.[/quote]

Swearing at inanimate objects you say?

I enjoy swearing at anything.

• 2 weeks later...