Why become a member? ×

Valve query

Ant

[quote name='Ant' post='690448' date='Dec 21 2009, 10:29 AM']One of my power amp valves has started to flash blue when I'm playing, what's that all about then?[/quote]

Badness. Could just be a bias adjustment issue, but sounds like something's on the way out.

Does it flash (!) in time with your playing? Especially when you're digging in?

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='690458' date='Dec 21 2009, 10:49 AM']Badness. Could just be a bias adjustment issue, but sounds like something's on the way out.

Does it flash (!) in time with your playing? Especially when you're digging in?

Pete.[/quote]

Yeah it does, especially with distortion on

[quote name='Ant' post='690619' date='Dec 21 2009, 01:40 PM']Yeah it does, especially with distortion on[/quote]

The blue glow is electricity in motion - could be the bias (or a component thereof) or the valve's on its way out. One pair or all four? Any sign of "Mirror-ing" (like you usually get at the top) around the [u]middle[/u] of the glass envelope?

[quote name='SS73' post='691272' date='Dec 22 2009, 09:19 AM']Thinking about it when our Guitarist uses my Burman, it does the same thing especially with a tube screamer, although all 4 EL34's go blue in unison.[/quote]

In unison I can understand - just means they're working very hard & might shorten their lifespan.

It's the idea of just one doing it that makes me think something might be up.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='691588' date='Dec 22 2009, 03:31 PM']In unison I can understand - just means they're working very hard & might shorten their lifespan.

It's the idea of just one doing it that makes me think something might be up.

Pete.[/quote]

Yes, Its got to be one of the Valves is just not man enough for the job anymore and its showing in his actions.