Why become a member? ×

Doublestops on funk tunes

iconic

Been reading up on some of the old school funk players and came across this, forgive me if it's obvious:-

[b]Getting back to Slave, I dug Mark Adams style of using effects, slides and double stops!! Snapshot had one of the simplest basslines but when he threw in that doublestop, I was like 'Oh s**t, no he didn't just do that'!! That's the true meaning of funk! Not so much how skilled you are in the slapping dept. or regular playing but in where you lay down those inflections! You either got the funk or you don't!
__________________[/b][i][/i]

Is a [b]doublestop[/b], simply playing two strings at the same time at the end of a bar...hence the [i]double stop [/i]maybe playing a C and an octave higher C?

[quote name='iconic' post='689512' date='Dec 20 2009, 09:51 AM']Is a [b]doublestop[/b], simply playing two strings at the same time at the end of a bar...hence the [i]double stop [/i]maybe playing a C and an octave higher C?[/quote]

yeah, not restricted to octaves though. any two notes on any two strings are a double stop. Its old terminology from the Double bass (and violins, violas etc...)

I think some players also play a 3rd and a 7th (flattened) on the D and G strings (or a 7th and a 3rd) especially when using an open E or A string. For example an open E string with the D at the 12th fret on the D string and the G# on the 13th fret on the G string. Might also slide into the two higher notes from a fret below as well i.e. 11th and 12th fret into 12th and 13th fret.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='689517' date='Dec 20 2009, 08:58 AM']BTW, where did you read that quote? Mark Adams is one of my favourite players.[/quote]

follow this thread...it's got some amazing name dropping in here :)

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198273&page=2"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...8273&page=2[/url]

[quote name='JPS' post='689575' date='Dec 20 2009, 10:41 AM']I think some players also play a 3rd and a 7th (flattened) on the D and G strings (or a 7th and a 3rd) especially when using an open E or A string. For example an open E string with the D at the 12th fret on the D string and the G# on the 13th fret on the G string. Might also slide into the two higher notes from a fret below as well i.e. 11th and 12th fret into 12th and 13th fret.[/quote]

I must be doing this combo wrong..... open E string with D sting + D sounds like a very 'sudden and worried' tone on my bass....if that makes the slightest sense :)

..........where would you drop you this into a riff?

Edited by iconic

Boring technical explanation:

[i]When put your finger on a string you 'stop' the string at that point. This applies to (amongst others) any stringed instrument that uses a fingerboard/fretboard. {not too sure where the term comes from...anyone?}

Multiple stops happen when you stop several strings simultaneously. Specifically, a double stop happens when the player stops two (usually adjacent) strings at (usually) the same point/fret. It is also used to describe any two notes played simultaneously, though strictly speaking this is probably stretching the original definition a little.[/i]

Common examples would include a root+fourth below (e.g. 'Smoke on the Water') and root+fifth above (standard power chord - verse riff of 'All the Small Things')

Hope this helps

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='iconic' post='689594' date='Dec 20 2009, 11:03 AM']I must be doing this combo wrong..... open E string with D sting + D sounds like a very 'sudden and worried' tone on my bass....if that makes the slightest sense :)

..........where would you drop you this into a riff?[/quote]

It depends on the function, that interval will sound completely different depending where the harmony is going, where its coming from, what the context of it is in the harmony at that moment in time etc.

This applies to any interval or note of course, but in the case of this interval I'd say it applies even more so.

[quote name='JPS' post='689575' date='Dec 20 2009, 10:41 AM']I think some players also play a 3rd and a 7th (flattened) on the D and G strings (or a 7th and a 3rd) especially when using an open E or A string. For example an open E string with the D at the 12th fret on the D string and the G# on the 13th fret on the G string. Might also slide into the two higher notes from a fret below as well i.e. 11th and 12th fret into 12th and 13th fret.[/quote]

You can only get with this if you're playing over a 7 chord (in this case E7).

A double stop is basically two notes played together. I believe the term comes from playing
stringed instruments-violin,double bass etc.-which have no frets and you are 'stopping' the strings from
vibrating at it's full length-now more commonly known as 'fretting'.

[quote name='iconic' post='689594' date='Dec 20 2009, 11:03 AM']I must be doing this combo wrong..... open E string with D sting + D sounds like a very 'sudden and worried' tone on my bass....if that makes the slightest sense :)

..........where would you drop you this into a riff?[/quote]

It does sound like you are playing it wrong. If I'm reading you right,you are playing a low E,an open D and,an octave D.
The chord that was mentioned is an E7,so you should be playing the notes E,G#,B,D. Let's leave out the B for now, and
play the notes E,G# and D

---------------
------------0--

So you have the low E,the D on the 12th fret D of the D string,and G# on the 13th fret of the G string.

In a nutshell a double stop could be seen as a fragment of a chord, so if you want to create your own you could try playing an open A string then fretting the 11th fret on the D and the 12th on the G string, this is a A7 chord but with notes at the upper and lower part of the octave. Try sliding these two note shapes up a fret to the desired point from the fret below so for the shape described above start on the 10th an 11th and shift up on the 4 'and' before landing on the 1 with the open A. Hope that makes sense...

M

[quote name='Doddy' post='689755' date='Dec 20 2009, 02:08 PM']It does sound like you are playing it wrong. If I'm reading you right,you are playing a low E,an open D and,an octave D.
The chord that was mentioned is an E7,so you should be playing the notes E,G#,B,D. Let's leave out the B for now, and
play the notes E,G# and D

---------------
------------0--

So you have the low E,the D on the 12th fret D of the D string,and G# on the 13th fret of the G string.[/quote]

Hey Doddy, you're spot on as well I didn't mean to repeat what you said, all good

M