Why become a member? ×

Apathy the spider.

Sawtooth

Once upon a time, way back in the last centuary, there was a man. Not a youth as such, but still, laughing in the face of thirty.
After long discovering his Love for 'the dance' and all things low, he dabbled in sequencers and synths, in drum machines and debauchery.

But suddenly, on the cusp of his twenty seventh year on this ever turning Earth, the thunder beckoned his soul.... that man was I.
With great heart, I proclaimed loudly, to all who would listen;
" I have heard the thunder, the swell and the mighty roar that has summoned me from the bowels of this Earth. My quest is to search and aquire
the musical instrument that shall stir, enliven and encapture my spirit, my soul and my muse... the Bass guitar!
......to which my Wife eloquently replied, "uhh..what?

A quest was born. Upon scrutinizing the hidden scriptures of 'Bassist' magazine, I decided upon my sword of the deep, an 'Encore Precision Bass guitar'!
She was a cruel mistress. Many moons past, many fingers bled, many neighbours complained. I fought on. The plight of the lone bassist is not to be forgotten. Those long hours without a solitary ting of a hi-hat, the thud of a kick drum, the splash of a cymbal. I fought on.

By my thirtieth birthday, I felt like I'd earned and learned enough to treat myself to a new mistress of the dark and low. She arrived. A sleek, black,
curvaceous beauty that called herself 'Ibanez Soundgear'. She sat in my lap like she was born to. Her neck was slender, her 'pups' were delicious.
She sang to me. A sweet, sweet song that I never tired of.

When I finally joined a band, she came alive. She played like I've never heard her before. We learned so much, her and I.
We had a calling. The studio. She gave her all and I could only try to keep up. Bliss!
Unfortunately the band 'disbanded', we were finished. But, as i despondently placed her on the hanger at home, both of us knowing our distance to come,
I'm sure I saw a bead of liquid, running from her neck to her bridge.... could it be a tear? A tear born from the fact that her master had never, to this day, stood on a stage and played 'a gig'?

We have been aqauinted occasionally on a couple of blues jams, but she's never been her old self.

I have seen her on occasion, over the last couple of years, hanging round my room, but she seems to have made friends with a spider. I call him Apathy.
He has woven the most intricate of webs across my beauty. He has encompassed his threads, silver across silver, from tuning key to bridge.
I have watched him grow, mature, wither and float to the ground like a leaf on the breeze.

Only now, have I considered picking up the bass again, and joyfully, also discovered the wonderful world of 'Basschat'!

Anyway, enough the wordy b****x!

I'll be posting a few questions soon and would appreciate some help/abuse.

Thanks for your time.

Dave.

Hello! Thanks folks for the warm welcome.
Jaybass - Thanks for the encouragement, but I'm a long way from looking for another band yet, nevermind a gig.
Simply, because I haven't played for so long,
I seem to have forgotten all the little riffs I used to play and my hands feel like someone elses, a total loss of dexterity!
It's like starting all over again. Ho-hum. :rolleyes:

beerdragon - I reside in Prestatyn, the funkiest town in North Wales! :). Where abouts are you?

[quote name='Sawtooth' post='690119' date='Dec 20 2009, 08:32 PM']Hello! Thanks folks for the warm welcome.
Jaybass - Thanks for the encouragement, but I'm a long way from looking for another band yet, nevermind a gig.
Simply, because I haven't played for so long,
I seem to have forgotten all the little riffs I used to play and my hands feel like someone elses, a total loss of dexterity!
It's like starting all over again. Ho-hum. :rolleyes:

beerdragon - I reside in Prestatyn, the funkiest town in North Wales! :). Where abouts are you?[/quote]

I'm inbetween Wrexham and Llangollen, i've played at the Holiday camp in Prestatyn but i suppose nearly everyone has!