Why become a member? ×

Boss Digital Dimension DC-3 pedal. Decent chorus pedal?

dave_bass5

Ive just found one in a box at home and as I have been thinking about getting a chorus pedal recently thought i might see how this sounds first.
To me it sounds ok but i was wondering if anyone knows how it compares to a normal chorus pedal like the Boss CE-5 for example.

I've no experience with chorus pedals on bass and nothing to compare it with, thats why im asking. I guess if it does sound ok i might as well stick with it.
Im looking to thicken up my tone on the slower ballads and have a bit of a fretless tone (i know there is way more to it than just a pedal) when i need it.

Cheers.

Dave.

Wow! What a cool find actually! Technically, the Dimension pedal isn't a chorus pedal - well - in as much as it doesn't produce it's effect in the same way that a more usual one does IIRC. I remember using 'dimension' effects on the old Yamaha SPX effects units and loving it! With Fretless it's a big yes yes yes!

You might wanna check prices around the net as they seem to be worth a bit, being so rare now!

Its been hanging around for years. I got it to beef up may Casio CZ1000 when i used to play keyboards back in the big hair days.
I then moved on to a Yamaha REX-50 and didnt use the DC-3 anymore.

Ive never owned a chrous pedal as such, and not since i took up bass so while ive got a pretty good idea what to expect form something like a CE-5 im interested in how it will compare to the DC-3. Saying that ive not tried a CE-5 but i hear they are pretty good.

I think the main difference to a normal Chorus effect is that you dont get a lot of pitch movement, more spacial widening. This works well for stereo instruments but im not sure how well it will work for mono, fretted bass.

Like you say, its not a "normal" chorus so im not sure its the sound im after but Im going to try it out at the weekend on a gig and see how i like it otherwise i guess i will just sell it.

Just a quick update.
The DC-3 worked well. the effect was thick enough to be noticed without too much swirling. Very happy.
The downside is the battery was almost flat by the end of the gig. Not happy.
I know i can use a PSU but i dont think ill bother for now unless i find more use for the DC-3

Happy Christmas.