Why become a member? ×

LIVE Marcus Miller Dutch gig Webcast - TONIGHT!

urb

Hey folks!

A heads up for a live webcast of Marcus' gig tonight at The Parasiso in Amsterdam - it starts at 7.30 - the streaming is really high quality so that means good audio and visuals - check it out here:

[url="http://www.jazzwise.com/news/item/7226"]http://www.jazzwise.com/news/item/7226[/url]

Hope some of you can watch it - I'll be out...doh! The gig is archived though so you can watch it again whenever.

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='NickThomas' post='75683' date='Oct 17 2007, 06:20 PM']Excellent .. I'm unable to see him this time at the Jazz cafe so this is almost as good .... And I dont have to take the train home after lol

btw what is that thing of beauty in your avatar picture?[/quote]

Ace - I'm staying in after all tonight so I think I'll have a look at this as well - showtime in 15 mins - cool!

The bass in my avatar is myu custom fretless five string - made by Brighton luthier Jeff Chapman - it's one piece of African mahogany quarter sawn and shaped into a lovely bass - sounds on my Myspace page BTW - the fingerboard is ebony - and that's a ramp between the pickups :)

Pics here: [url="http://www.munkio.com/jeffchapman/flynn_fretless.html"]http://www.munkio.com/jeffchapman/flynn_fretless.html[/url]

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='NickThomas' post='75729' date='Oct 17 2007, 07:51 PM']Bloody bassist... Late again lol[/quote]

Yeah I agree - but I'm usually early...Dare I say Marcus may have partaken of some Dutch 'hospitality' - anyway so far so good - I'm impressed with the camera work and the quality is superb - webcasting has really improved since the early days...

M

[quote name='bassmandan' post='75737' date='Oct 17 2007, 08:18 PM']er, SWR?!? What's going on there, where's the EBS? He's still endorsing EBS accoring to his website although I can't seem to find mention of him on the EBS site!

hmmmm, Fender pulling strings again maybe methinks?.......[/quote]
SWR are american and they can pay the dollars, still sound good !! less treble and bundles of grunt! nice. i hope vic's on here next week, thanks so much for the post, very good,

Go Poogie! Hey a fretless Fender too!!!

I've heard that Marcus is looking at other amps to endorse - I have to say that I got tired of my EBS sound - it's great gear but tends to favour the slap bassist - and I'm much more into fingerstyle now - I love my SWR combo and Epifani 502

This is a wicked gig - I'm gonna check him in London on Nov 5 and 6

M

Sweet guys - I really dug it - I surprised myself and watched most of it - didn't get too many dips in the signal - now off to watch the new episode of Heroes - sorry I am addicted to that bloody show - and I've already seen the latter half of it so I know what happens at the end - still really good tho.

I wish we could have more of these live streamed gigs - I think it could catch on this internet thing... :) - I'll let you know if I get sent any others in advance of them happening.

Take it easy out there - no binge drinking now!!!!

M

[quote name='bassmandan' post='75737' date='Oct 17 2007, 08:18 PM']er, SWR?!? What's going on there, where's the EBS? He's still endorsing EBS accoring to his website although I can't seem to find mention of him on the EBS site!

hmmmm, Fender pulling strings again maybe methinks?.......[/quote]

Marcus now has an 'unofficial relationship' with EBS. He still uses it but is contractually a free agent.

I only watched it till about 9. I loved it - but did get a little tired towards the end..

Whilst amazing music - the extremely long jams in songs did start to bore me, with it not really sounding like the song they were playing at the start. Maybe it's just me but I expect a song to be recognisable during any part of it...

I was impressed with Marcus's sax playing though.. wow those things go low.

..... got me thinking now?!? He does play sax, although I've never seen him play a Bari before...... maybe he whipped one out quickly while I went to make a cuppa :)

anyway, he was definately playing a Bass Clarinet at one stage, similar range to the Baritone Sax and shaped very much like a Sax too with bent over silver crook and bell, but with the main shaft being typically wooden; hence the amazingly haunting sound, over the raspy honk of the Bari (not that that's a bad thing of course, still gives me the shivers when Dick Parry kicks in with one on Shine On You Crazy Diamond!)

[size=1]edit: just realised what a veritable cornucopia of double entendres this post is! have fun boys and girls :huh:[/size]

Edited by bassmandan