Why become a member? ×

This is ridiculous seriously....

AttitudeCastle

Yeah that dude really does my head in - I saw him demoing Epifani gear at the Musik Messe two years ago and I thought it was pointless hiring him to do that because his tone from that beaten up Yamaha is pretty nasty - very thin and harsh....

This guy is a much more musical player - and his technique is more original - and he has a sense of humour about what he's doing:

M

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='683385' date='Dec 13 2009, 08:55 PM']That popping video bears the same relationship to bass playing as a keepy-uppy expert bears to a Premiership footballer.

It's a clever trick and I'm sure he's worked hard to get that far, but it's completely pointless.[/quote]

I've always tried to avoid being anti-slappist as I quite enjoy playing the odd bit here and there (and often very odd), but Jack's analogy is spot on. If I played that to a bass player, s/he may or may not be impressed, but if I played that to one of my non-muso mates. I'm pretty sure they would simply say "so what....". I've always felt that any performance that relies on an appreciation of the technique to appreciate the end product misses the point, and I think that the vid in question, irrespective of the hours of practice and dedication that were required to perform it, exemplifies this.

Having said all that, I'd still love to be able to do it :)

Chris

[quote name='urb' post='684268' date='Dec 14 2009, 06:19 PM']Yeah that dude really does my head in - I saw him demoing Epifani gear at the Musik Messe two years ago and I thought it was pointless hiring him to do that because his tone from that beaten up Yamaha is pretty nasty - very thin and harsh....

This guy is a much more musical player - and his technique is more original - and he has a sense of humour about what he's doing:

M[/quote]

Agreed

[quote name='Beedster' post='684643' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:52 PM']I've always tried to avoid being anti-slappist as I quite enjoy playing the odd bit here and there (and often very odd), but Jack's analogy is spot on. If I played that to a bass player, s/he may or may not be impressed, but if I played that to one of my non-muso mates. I'm pretty sure they would simply say "so what....". I've always felt that any performance that relies on an appreciation of the technique to appreciate the end product misses the point, and I think that the vid in question, irrespective of the hours of practice and dedication that were required to perform it, exemplifies this.

Having said all that, I'd still love to be able to do it :)

Chris[/quote]Chris, you are such a nice, well mannered poster.
I too would like to be able to slap like a man posessed but at the end of the day, I have a rather large cock, as I'm sure you have.
:rolleyes:

[quote name='steve-soar' post='684682' date='Dec 14 2009, 11:27 PM']Chris, you are such a nice, well mannered poster.
I too would like to be able to slap like a man posessed but at the end of the day, I have a rather large cock, as I'm sure you have.
:)[/quote]

Right back at ya dude :rolleyes:

For me, the first guy was truly awful, I could listen for about thirty seconds. I tried jumping forward to other levels but it just got worse and worse.

Tetsuo Sakurai I could listen to but I couldn't see any point in doing so.

Gustavo Dalfarra actually played music, which was nice and a refreshing change, but I wouldn't be rushing to listen again.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='683385' date='Dec 13 2009, 08:55 PM']That popping video bears the same relationship to bass playing as a keepy-uppy expert bears to a Premiership footballer.

It's a clever trick and I'm sure he's worked hard to get that far, but it's completely pointless.[/quote]

A very good analogy. He is the kind of bass player that would wear his shirt outside his shorts, roll socks down with no shin pads and never chase back from midfield.

He is Glenn Hoddle when what the job really needs is Roy Keane.

I'm so glad to hear that people on this board have taste and see all this stuff for what it is.

The bit I have a problem with is calling this wrist-burning madness 'funk'. Funk is at least as much about holes as it is about notes.

I wonder if these players accompany their dinner parties with a metronome at 300bpm...

Jon