Why become a member? ×

Derek Forbes (Simple Minds) - The Interview

Linus27

Hey all,

I am fortunate enough to get the chance to interview Derek Forbes, the one time bass player of Simple Minds. Derek was one of the biggest influences for me when I was learning to play bass all those years back so its an honour to get to chat to him and interview him. He even offered to buy me a drink :) I asked him if he was willing to answer any question we may have regarding his bass playing and he very kindly agreed. So if anyone wants to ask him anything, either drop the questions in this thread or send me a PM. Once all the questions have been answered, I will post the replies either in this thread or in a new one.

Fire away :rolleyes:

I'm impressed. Cool guy.

- Why were his basslines mixed so quietly on Sparkle in the Rain.
- How does he feel about the 'Minds now
- Which track is he most proud of, out of all his recordings (Minds, Propaganda, etc)
- Does he still have his Alembic Spoiler
- Does Kenny Hyslop ever shut up

If you can think of some questions that would be great. Does not have to be directly related to Derek and Simple Minds etc, it can just be bass related. Some of the questions I am thinking of including are,

1. Who influenced you as a bass player when you were learning to play?

2. Who, if any, impresses you now as a bass player?

3. Tell me a little about the basses you play and why you chose them?

4. Your sound in Simple Minds was very distinct. Was that the combination of the Fender Precision and the Ampeg rig or did you use a multitude of effects?

5. Where you ever approached by a bass manufacturer to have a signature model, for example Fender?

6. Do you have a set formula to writing bass lines or is it just whatever comes in your head at the time?

Still got more to think off though :)

[quote name='silddx' post='679626' date='Dec 9 2009, 10:00 PM']Why do you appear to be ever so slightly conceited in the interviews I've read? I hear myself in Flea's playing, etc.

Sorry Linus, don't mean to be mean.[/quote]

Hey silddx,

Really confused by your comment. Are you saying he was in a band called Flea's or is the comment aimed at me as I was in a band called The Fleas. Just a bit confused :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='679665' date='Dec 9 2009, 10:30 PM']Hey silddx,

Really confused by your comment. Are you saying he was in a band called Flea's or is the comment aimed at me as I was in a band called The Fleas. Just a bit confused :)[/quote]
Oh crikey! Sorry!

It was aimed at Derek Forbes, I recently read an interview with him and he said he could hear himself in Flea's (RHCP) playing and that Flea must have been influenced by him. It sounded a bit conceited to me. In fact most of the interview was a bit like that.

I'll delete that post, I hope you have a great time interviewing him!

Sorry mate.