Why become a member? ×

Ampeg B3158 - withdrawn

bigjohn

Like this...

That's not it - but I couldn't tell the difference if you paid me. It's in very good nick. It's also built like a tank, so I'm not surprised it's in good nick :lol: Although - despite it being quite heavy, it has side handles and tilts back onto built in casters. So apart from thin stairways - it's remarkably mobile. In fact I've taken it to a gig on the bus before :rolleyes:

It's 150W biamped. A 100W power amp goes into the 15", a 50W goes into the 8". It's got a rotary "balance" knob which controls the crossover.

Here's the manual [url="http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/B-3.PDF"]Ampeg b3158[/url].

It's a great amp. It's like a tall SVT classic 15" cab with a built in head! I love it - but I've replaced it really, and the goose is getting fat and I want some of it at Christmas so needs must.

It's a bit big to post... So collection is really the only option. I'm in Nottingham but would come and meet on the M1 or A1 maybe.

for those of you worried that it wouldn't be loud enough... I wouldn't worry - it's a [b]LOT[/b] louder than the 150w it's labelled with - both because of it's size (Ampeg reckon it has an SPL of 125db :)) and that it's biamped helps a great deal. When it was new, it was the loudest ampeg combo ever built.

withdrawn.

It's worth more than £275!

Edited by bigjohn

Hiya,

I'm a righty I'm afraid. Although I've used the amp left handed before and it was fine. I agree about the fairy lights. It would look aWeSomE :)

I'm not going to lie to you and say it sounds massive - it is after all a 100W and 50W biamped set up. BUT - It's physically big which helps with the whole volume displacement and SPL thing - AND it's biamped. Each amp is only sending frequencies for which the speaker is designed (they're ampeg cusotm eminence speakers) to handle - so there's a less of the normal amp / speaker clipping / distortion going on. It just gets louder rather than changing tone as you turn it up.

That said - it doesn't keep up with VERY loud drummers. And I did fry it once trying to do so. However, it got repaired by the very knowledgeable and most excellent John Wood of [url="http://www.chambonino.com/"]John Wood Transformers[/url] (John's stuff is that the bottom) who completely rebuilt the power amp section for me using better parts than Ampeg used to build it... so the same thing won't happen again (he's very confident of that - in fact I'm pretty sure he'd allow me to pass on the guarantee to whoever buys it that the same thing won't ever happen again). The power amp transistors are now US made Motorolas. It's been right as rain (in fact righter than rain) since.

It does keep up easily with drummers and guitarists that aren't effing stupid. Which our old drummer isn't, but he is stupidly loud. This is him [url="http://www.myspace.com/antronhy"]Antrohny Oh[/url] - possibly one of the loudest drummers on planet Earth... Then again my Marshall JCM800 rig struggled sometimes.

This amp has kept up nicely with the two other drummers I've used it with and always sounds great when I've let other bands use it. It is actually the only amp I've had questions about and compliments from from random punters.

I've even played gigs with the -15pad switched in and not felt anything awry.

If I had enough money to buy Tiny Tim the biggest turkey in the shop I'd keep it. But I've not. And I've also got amps and cabs coming out of me ears at the moment...

Edited by bigjohn

• 2 weeks later...

I keep looking adoringly at its fine lines, but I have a 250W Ampeg Portabass Combo, so I doubt it'll be any more portable, or loud. (And I do go to jam nights on the bus with it already)

Worth getting regardless as a nice bit of furniture I reckon. :)

[quote name='Chipps' post='700438' date='Jan 4 2010, 01:39 PM']I keep looking adoringly at its fine lines, but I have a 250W Ampeg Portabass Combo, so I doubt it'll be any more portable, or loud. (And I do go to jam nights on the bus with it already)

Worth getting regardless as a nice bit of furniture I reckon. :)[/quote]

Nice. Gotta love the Portabass.

Thanks for adoring from afar, I reckon you're right - not sure this would be noticeably louder. As a piece of furniture though, it's great :rolleyes:

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' post='700484' date='Jan 4 2010, 02:22 PM']Nice. Gotta love the Portabass.

Thanks for adoring from afar, I reckon you're right - not sure this would be noticeably louder. As a piece of furniture though, it's great :rolleyes:[/quote]

Why can't they make a 400W version? Might need bigger wheel - and I'd definitely need to get a bigger bus to put it on... :)

[quote name='ashevans09' post='712049' date='Jan 13 2010, 10:51 PM']dimensions?

EDIT : Found them.

I know this is really picky, but is there anything you could compare it with to give me a sense of size? Like "knee hight" or the like[/quote]

Certainly not knee height - I'd say it's more like "bar" height to be honest.

Waist high at least, and I'm a big lad.

It *just* fits into my polo boot. you have to take out the parcel shelf and lower it in. It fits lying on it's side. Snug.

If you look on the photo you can see the 8" speaker in the top right of the grillcloth. - There's a 15" speaker below that. It's over 3 foot tall. So unless you're about 10 foot, it's well over knee height.

Edited by bigjohn