Why become a member? ×

P Bass with EMG p/ups

Jigster

..have seen one of these for sale - nice looker, but with EMG replacement p/ups - haven't had chance to play it yet, but anyone with any thoughts on what EMG's offer?

More thump I'm guessing, but any experiences of EMG's etc appreciated and how they might perform within a P body..

Ta

[quote name='Jigster' post='677498' date='Dec 8 2009, 08:46 AM']..have seen one of these for sale - nice looker, but with EMG replacement p/ups - haven't had chance to play it yet, but anyone with any thoughts on what EMG's offer?

More thump I'm guessing, but any experiences of EMG's etc appreciated and how they might perform within a P body..

Ta[/quote]

I've got EMGs in my 70s reissue Precision. Personally I like them. They retain the low end thump of a Precision, but with a touch more definition and punch IMO. Some say they sound more modern / hifi compared with vintage Precision pickups and there is some truth to that. But They still sound like a Precision to me.

I had EMG P in a Mike Dirnt Precision I used to own.

They tend to have a little hotter output, are a bit cleaner and more hi-fi but in a very positive way. Not clinical and sterile. When you dig in, I've always thought they're very punchy and articulate but have a bit of underlying aggression, great for a classic rock tone IMO. If a more "rounded" Precision tone is your thing, rolling off the tone control brings back the "thump".

Ultimately, I'd go with Simon, it'll still sound very much like a Precision.

T