Why become a member? ×

Xmas is coming

3below

Dear Santa or wife

I have a big one, I think I need more

How does this sound (apart from loud) :lol: , where would (could) I use it other than for demolition jobs?

Peavey CS3000 or QSC PLX (for the rich) power amp, big one followed by a spare 3 big ones for those larger than average venues (and yes, my Honda CRV will take 4 big ones without the seats folded, respect to Alex) - should drive 1500 watts rms into each pair of big ones (two each side of drummer).

cost approx £550 + 4 x £675 = £3259 :)

What pre amp should I use?

Alex, what SPL will I get?

Best wishes from a happy big one owner (possibly the first second hand owner?), just want three more of the same. :rolleyes:

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' post='677175' date='Dec 7 2009, 08:52 PM']Dear Santa or wife

I have a big one, I think I need more

How does this sound (apart from loud) :lol: , where would (could) I use it other than for demolition jobs?

Peavey CS3000 or QSC PLX (for the rich) power amp, big one followed by a spare 3 big ones for those larger than average venues - should drive 1500 watts rms into each pair of big ones (two each side of drummer).

cost approx £550 + 4 x £675 = £3259 :)

What pre amp should I use?

Alex, what SPL will I get?

Best wishes from a happy big one owner (possibly the first second hand owner?), just want three more of the same. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Do you play in a Motorhead tribute band? :lol:

What is Motorhead? Is it loud? I saw a beat combo with some chap called Lemmy whilst at University, is he part of this outfit? I was hoping for adequate SPL to see off my drummer at the Kerry Lamb.

Perhaps Santa might arrive properly this year. Last year he failed to bring the Morgan +8 (so did my wife for the last 30!).

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' post='677175' date='Dec 7 2009, 08:52 PM'](two each side of drummer).[/quote]

Holy comb filtering. Did an 8x10 either side of the drummer once and the nulls were insane. Fairly useful for feedback creation/avoidance, but not generally considered good.

Mmm, I hear what you are saying (but not for long I suspect). My one big one was adequate (450W applied) with an audience of 500+ but our drummer was heavy handed. I just want to have an adequate reserve to put him in his place.

I will have to explore the nulls due to destructive interference - I have some bright students who can calculate this for me - I see an assignment coming on, that will stop their fun.

Advice on preamp needed (seriously).

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' post='677259' date='Dec 7 2009, 09:49 PM']Advice on preamp needed (seriously).[/quote]

What sorta sound ya after? I have a Peavey Tmax as it has loads of options, but tempted by the cheap Ashdown RPM in for sale, as well as hassling Robwave to get an Ampeg one.

Flexibility I think. Currently use G&L SB1 with flats, Peavey Firebass 700 / SoundCity 120 and the Big One. Like the sound, lots of bass, cuts through mix, good midrange, but have felt underpowered in 500+ audience (they were just too close or deaf). No PA support. Peavey clipped rather too much. Why are drummers so loud?

So looking for more headroom (and use for guitar) hence power amps, and flexibility in the pre amp - I play anything from folk to blues with HM / punk / Jazz inbetween (+ double bass)

Saw your Acoustic combo, very nice - I lusted after one of these in my youth - I had the 370 cab with Hiwatt 200 in my 20s (when they were cheap and heavy) . These days I need the lighter kit.

Edited by 3below