Why become a member? ×

Korg Pandora PX4D

chriswilliams666

Depends what you mean by a PA amp.

If you take a feed from the Pandora headphone socket to a mixing desk, then you'll take your output through the PA and you're sort-of using the Pandora as a DI box. That should work, though you might get a rather distorted sound.

If you take the feed direct to a power amp and use that to drive your cab, then I suspect you'll be way short of enough signal to drive the power amp properly.

Someone who knows a lot more than me will be along in a second ...

I use a GK Rig with a Head and two cabs. For smaller gigs i wanna take the pandora, a Phonic Max1500 Power Amp and one cab. I very rarely DI to a PA direct. The bigger gigs i would use the GK rig and its internal DI.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='677008' date='Dec 7 2009, 06:58 PM']Depends what you mean by a PA amp.

If you take a feed from the Pandora headphone socket to a mixing desk, then you'll take your output through the PA and you're sort-of using the Pandora as a DI box. That should work, though you might get a rather distorted sound.

If you take the feed direct to a power amp and use that to drive your cab, then I suspect you'll be way short of enough signal to drive the power amp properly.

Someone who knows a lot more than me will be along in a second ...[/quote]

The Pandora is designed for headphone use, and the noise reduction circuit (a variable mute) will not be correctly calibrated if you use it in a higher gain set up.

It is slightly hissy - this will be more noticeable: plus, you may not be able to find a mute level that takes out the hiss without bringing in a noticable mute level at the start of each note.

As others have said, it may not have sufficient output voltage to drive your PA to the desired level, but a small cheap mixer ~£40 could fix that for you

David

I have tried the Pandora as an effects unit to add some chorus between the bass and the bass amp. The manual indicates that you can use the unit like that. However I agree with previous comments that it is quite noisy. Any of the pre-set tones work much better with headphones rather than for use with an amp as well. Even for recording it is too hissy in my opinion. It is very good for practising.