Why become a member? ×

Area 51 Stealth Pup

neptunehealer

I was admiring the Area 51 pup online just yesterday. Can't say I've heard it but it looks awesome. Happy to be proven wrong but the SD pups are really good and I do wonder whether the difference would be worth the cost - or even if there is that big a difference? I tend to favour the SPB-1 and the Antiquity pups for my playing though (although I am familar with the SPB-3).

I am nervous about taking the big step of having the spb-3 installed as it will about £30 to do this. Also i am in a cover band so need a versatile pup, but am a little concerned this pup maybe too extreme for the set. I have a feeling it's not a warm pup which lacks in bottom end.
But also i do want to cut through the mix a bit more to give us a more defined clear sound, if this pup can alos be warm enough for the elvis, beatles songs in the set then i may go ahead and use it.
Just not sure at the moment though.

I've had, and used, both and the Wizard A51 is similar sounding to the SPB-3, but with a bit more mid tone than the scooped mid sound from the SPB-3.
Also not only is the A51 a nice sounding unit but it's more traditional looking unit than the SD if that matters to you.

Good luck,
Jon.

The SPB-3 is not thin sounding at all, just a scooped mid sound. It's basically a very modern sounding P pickup. It's great for rock, punk, metal, etc.
In contrast the A51 in my P bass with flat strings absolutely nails that woody, thumpy P bass sound to a T. It replicates that Clash London Calling sound perfectly.

I think it will be fine for what you need...

[quote name='jonthebass' post='676074' date='Dec 6 2009, 08:11 PM']The SPB-3 is not thin sounding at all, just a scooped mid sound. It's basically a very modern sounding P pickup. It's great for rock, punk, metal, etc.
In contrast the A51 in my P bass with flat strings absolutely nails that woody, thumpy P bass sound to a T. It replicates that Clash London Calling sound perfectly.

I think it will be fine for what you need...[/quote]

I have the P that Jon had and I agree, the Stealth is perfect for all those traditional P sounds. Great with flats.