Why become a member? ×

EDEN WTX500

Basska

I've had the WTX260, which I liked so much that I upgraded to the WTX500, which got stolen from my car last Thursday. :)

It's a brilliant piece of kit, and I'll be replacing it as soon as I can.

The blurb on the Eden official website is very straight forward and there's no real exaggeration or hype. It's a very simple device that does exactly what most people actually need, and does it very well.

All the knobs are multi-functional, but the "multi" aspect tends to relate to one-off set-up issues: [i]Do I want the on-board compressor? Would I prefer a more aggressive rock tone? Do I need the Bass Boost? [/i]Once you've decided the settings you want, you're unlikely to fiddle with them.

It's an excellent DI box and it has a decent headphones out socket so you can use it as a practice amp as well.

Despite its smallness, Eden have taken the trouble to provide it with a Speakon output AND two 1/4" outputs. There's an FX loop but I can't really comment on that - never used it.

The only thing to watch out for is that, unlike the WTX260, this is NOT a completely go-anywhere amp regardless of local power supply. If you source a US-spec amp then it comes pre-set to 110V. Changing that is dead easy - there's a simple jumper to move inside - but opening up the casing obviously invalidates all warrantees. I assume that the UK-spec amp comes similarly pre-set to 240V but that's somethng for you to check.

Eden have recently replaced the WTX260 with a slightly lower-spec'd ENX260, raising the possibility that there may be a rather cheaper ENX500 along in a while, but I haven't really looked into this.

Hope that helps.