Why become a member? ×

Ashdowm Superfy

xverminate2

Hi,
Just bought one of these this week and will test it tonight at a gig.

All my cabs are flightcased in our van so,fingers crossed I dont end up with a hummer.

Does the amp have to be powered up in order to us the edit software and make a backup
and is there a factory reset procedure?
Thanks
Greg

[quote name='xverminate2' post='674302' date='Dec 4 2009, 04:35 PM']Hi,
Just bought one of these this week and will test it tonight at a gig.

All my cabs are flightcased in our van so,fingers crossed I dont end up with a hummer.

Does the amp have to be powered up in order to us the edit software and make a backup
and is there a factory reset procedure?
Thanks
Greg[/quote]

Greetings,

Yes, it needs to be powered up to use the editor. As far as I can make out you can only save single presets, not dump the lot into one file (which is a bit daft).

As to factory reset, don't worry. Presets 01-10 (or it might be 00-09, I forget) *are* the factory settings, they're protected & can't be overwritten.

Have fun installing the software! (I **think** it's one of those where you need to install the app, then reboot, then connect the amp - but it's been a while).

Hope you don't have a hummer, mine has a very low level whistle on one channel which I suspect is clock breakthrough. It's not noticeable at a gig & seems to occur only when I use the speakon connector. If I plug a 1/4" jack in the amp it's fine.

What cabs, how big's the venue?

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='674316' date='Dec 4 2009, 04:50 PM']Greetings,

Yes, it needs to be powered up to use the editor. As far as I can make out you can only save single presets, not dump the lot into one file (which is a bit daft).

As to factory reset, don't worry. Presets 01-10 (or it might be 00-09, I forget) *are* the factory settings, they're protected & can't be overwritten.

Have fun installing the software! (I **think** it's one of those where you need to install the app, then reboot, then connect the amp - but it's been a while).

Hope you don't have a hummer, mine has a very low level whistle on one channel which I suspect is clock breakthrough. It's not noticeable at a gig & seems to occur only when I use the speakon connector. If I plug a 1/4" jack in the amp it's fine.

What cabs, how big's the venue?

Pete.[/quote]
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the info, I will be using SWR 15" + SWR 2X10, hartke 5500 biamp head is the norm,but will have a quick dabble with tha ashdown.
Only a pub gig tonight
Greg

[quote name='xverminate2' post='674343' date='Dec 4 2009, 05:18 PM']Hi Pete,
Thanks for the info, I will be using SWR 15" + SWR 2X10, hartke 5500 biamp head is the norm,but will have a quick dabble with tha ashdown.
Only a pub gig tonight
Greg[/quote]

Shouldn't need the master up beyond 12 O'clock then - it'll have yer trousers off otherwise!

A couple of other "features"...

The gain control is measured in dB for some reason, & just goes round & round & round.

When you switch off, unplug the mains lead but leave the speaker cables plugged in, then switch it back on for about a minute. The power supply capacitors take an age to bleed down otherwise, & if your fingers stray too near the mains input socket you can get a surprising belt!

What Bass? I have a handy P preset if you want.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='674359' date='Dec 4 2009, 05:28 PM']Shouldn't need the master up beyond 12 O'clock then - it'll have yer trousers off otherwise!

A couple of other "features"...

The gain control is measured in dB for some reason, & just goes round & round & round.

When you switch off, unplug the mains lead but leave the speaker cables plugged in, then switch it back on for about a minute. The power supply capacitors take an age to bleed down otherwise, & if your fingers stray too near the mains input socket you can get a surprising belt!

What Bass? I have a handy P preset if you want.

Pete.[/quote]
Many thanks for this help pete,

I tend to use only 3 of my collection ,
Fender PB OR Jazz + Status s1, It's the status I'm using tonight.
Any custom settings would be of help
Thinking about the editing, It seems pointless to have the laptop to edit when it's only benifit is to alter the para and comp?I would eq to the gig,
Am I right
Greg

[quote name='xverminate2' post='674372' date='Dec 4 2009, 05:38 PM']Many thanks for this help pete,

Thinking about the editing, It seems pointless to have the laptop to edit when it's only benifit is to alter the para and comp?I would eq to the gig,
Am I right
Greg[/quote]

Spot on. I only use the editor to backup - any adjustments are made on the night in the venue.

That setting...

Gain: 12 or 13 (Red Line it!)

EQ:

50 Hz - 6.0
100Hz - 3.0
230Hz - 2KHz - Flat.
5kHz - 1.0

Master: to taste.

Works nicely with an early 70's P/J hybrid and a CIJ P loves it (through a Peavey 15 Black Widow & an Epifani UL110 - YMMV)

Break a string.

Pete.

[quote name='xverminate2' post='674372' date='Dec 4 2009, 05:38 PM']Many thanks for this help pete,

Am I right
Greg[/quote]

I don't have the Superfly but a 7-band should be pretty handy on its own. I'd say parametrics can be really useful for a particular bass/amp/cab combo regardless of room, e.g. I nearly always like a broad boost centred around 2.5k on my Nordstrand-fitted Ibanez to bring out the single coil tone, and often a particular cab will boom at a characteristic frequency that will be more or less extreme depending on the room. I would expect that you could make 3 separate presets, each with a couple of bands devoted to the bass' raw tone, another one or two for particular cab combinations and spread the rest around a la a conventional 3-way EQ.

[quote name='parker_muse' post='674412' date='Dec 4 2009, 06:17 PM']I've just taken delivery of a superfly too, infact my laptop is on it now as i type! I'm playing through headphones from the line out and it's clipping quite a bit - is this normal? i'm a total noob with amps i'm afraid.[/quote]

Unless a line-out is designed to double as a headphone out then this is normal - it's a different signal level/impedance.