Why become a member? ×

Ampeg to Aguilar or Genz Benz

PauBass

I'm using at the moment an Ampeg SVT Classic and I'm thinking of moving to Aguilar or Genz Benz, a DB750/751 or GB1200

I've read so many good things about them but I've never tried any of the two.

I play mainly in rock bands ala Deftones, Incubus... and the cab I'll be using is my Bergantino NV610. Is it a good move?

Are they comparable in any way?
What can I expect?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='bassjamm' post='673897' date='Dec 4 2009, 08:19 AM']Hey Pablo,

I'm a huge fan of the DB750...that thing is just the epitome of tone!!!

Toasted actually used to run one through an NV610 as it happens. So hopefully he'll be able to give you some input. I played through the rib once and was impressed with how it all sounded.

Jam[/quote]

Thanks for the advice mate! Let's see if Toasted can give us some more advice.

Anyone else can help, please?

I only have experience of the DB750 so can't give any comparison with a Genz Benz. First thing to say is it's heavy...very heavy. Second, plug and play is just amazing - no need to tweak anything - just incredible weight to every note. Headroom is as good as it gets with loads of power across the range. The amp is really simple, eq is subtle but effective and personally, I haven't found any problem with the shelving (or sluggishness/pillowiness), in fact, I find the DB750 to be very articulate and responsive. I don't use the DI but it's a Jensen, so no problems there. For big rock gigs (or soul, pop or funk), I can't think of anything better. Oh, and if you're into the retro look, the DB750 looks really cool. I haven't tried a DB751 but some prefer the eq. I have to be honest, with a fundamental tone as good as that as a DB750 running flat, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Have tried the Aguilar AG500SC and a Genz Benz 6.0 Shuttle and I have to say the tone from the Aggie cuts it EVERY time!
It's got everything, you won't regret the move :-)

Although *minor spanner thrown in* I've just bought a TecAmp head (through 2 Aggie cabs) having read tons about them online and wondering how it would stack up to the tone from the Aggie stuff and I have to say I'm blown away!!!

:) :rolleyes: :lol: