Why become a member? ×

Just bought a bass from eBay...

ashm

Hey guys, I'll admit I'm slightly panicked and this is my first post and a cry for help!

I've just bought a used Fender Precision Bass (Mexico) that came with new flat wounds, however the bottom string is very muted and has hardly any sustain in comparison to the other strings.

I don't normally use flat wounds so I'm not sure if this is one of their characteristics. The action looks fine, the strings aren't touching anywhere on the neck or body they shouldn't be.

I'm a bit worried as I've been ripped off on eBay once before...

Please help! Thanks in advance.

As I posted similarly in a recent thread, I had this with a low B string on a set of Labella flatwounds.

I played the bass at a rehearsal and then a gig within the space of 2 weeks and then the string core snapped mid gig.

I put another string on, and it was fine. Could be as simple a fix as that.

I hope your new set works!

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='673298' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:46 PM']As I posted similarly in a recent thread, I had this with a low B string on a set of Labella flatwounds.

I played the bass at a rehearsal and then a gig within the space of 2 weeks and then the string core snapped mid gig.

I put another string on, and it was fine. Could be as simple a fix as that.

I hope your new set works![/quote]

I had a set of La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels with the same problem a few years ago. The next set i tried sounded great but i broke a string on their first gig so went off the brand after that!