Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot GP7 SM 115 combo help

john_the_bass

Now then folks, my mate has just bought a Trace Elliot combo. It needs a new speaker - the front panel of the amp says "GP7 SM Bass Preamp 300" and it's one of the old, carpet covered 115 combos with the GP7 preamp, 2 red lines across the front baffle, etc.

I want to help source a new speaker for him (hence the ad in the wanted section), would I be right in thinking these things produce their full 300 (280w RMS) watts at 4 ohms and therefore, we could probably get away with sticking a 200w 8 ohm speaker in there?

In the meantime, if anybody has a 4ohm 400w 15" driver, hit me up!

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='667440' date='Nov 27 2009, 03:00 PM']Now then folks, my mate has just bought a Trace Elliot combo. It needs a new speaker - the front panel of the amp says "GP7 SM Bass Preamp 300" and it's one of the old, carpet covered 115 combos with the GP7 preamp, 2 red lines across the front baffle, etc.

I want to help source a new speaker for him (hence the ad in the wanted section), would I be right in thinking these things produce their full 300 (280w RMS) watts at 4 ohms and therefore, we could probably get away with sticking a 200w 8 ohm speaker in there?

In the meantime, if anybody has a 4ohm 400w 15" driver, hit me up![/quote]

Speak to Watford Valves, also check their website which will help you. When I changed mine I went for a slightly higher wattage than the original to give a bit of headroom but it still drives just as well.

[url="http://www.watfordvalves.com/"]Watford Valves[/url]

[quote name='sixshooter' post='667467' date='Nov 27 2009, 03:26 PM']Speak to Watford Valves, also check their website which will help you. When I changed mine I went for a slightly higher wattage than the original to give a bit of headroom but it still drives just as well.

[url="http://www.watfordvalves.com/"]Watford Valves[/url][/quote]
Same combo I've got (selling soon to my guitarist)
What's wrong with the speaker? If it's just a tear in the cone you can fix that easily.
Failing that, I've also had good service from Watford Valves.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='667681' date='Nov 27 2009, 06:51 PM']Dunno, makes a farting noise when you play through it.
Just wondered if the amp delivered its full 280w at 4 or 8 ohm[/quote]

300 watts 4 ohms

see here for details

[url="http://www.britishaudioservice.com/inst/7BAND.PDF"]British Audio[/url]