Why become a member? ×

Limiter advice

throwoff

Im currently running a fairly small but nonetheless perfect for me effect set up consiting of -

Boss TU2
Boss GEB7 equalizer
Boss Bass Chorus
Electro Harmonix Bass Blogger

I picked up a behringer bass limiter for 4 quid in a pawn shop last week and had a play with it and found that it does get my sound pretty much spot on where I want it to be but I cant gig with it, its just too flimsy I really do STOMP my stomp boxes and the plastic behringer would last all of about 5 mins (its already cracked just from jamming with it)

Whats closest to the behringer I know they generally copy Boss designs but to me the Boss doesnt have the same feel (dont get me wrong its better quality) but there is something else the Behringer unit is doing

Are you using the "enhance" feature on the pedal? AFAIK this is quite different sounding to the boss LMB-3. The general limiting in both pedals is near identical.

If you are using the enhance function it might be work re-housing the behringer, or better yet just get a little true bypass loop for it so you don't have to bother using the behringer switch.

[quote name='throwoff' post='664610' date='Nov 25 2009, 01:09 AM']I picked up a behringer bass limiter for 4 quid in a pawn shop last week and had a play with it and found that it does get my sound pretty much spot on where I want it to be but I cant gig with it, its just too flimsy I really do STOMP my stomp boxes and the plastic behringer would last all of about 5 mins (its already cracked just from jamming with it)

Whats closest to the behringer I know they generally copy Boss designs but to me the Boss doesnt have the same feel (dont get me wrong its better quality) but there is something else the Behringer unit is doing[/quote]

Yeah...the Behringer limiter does seem a bit delicate, not bad sounding though IMHO. Not tried them myself, but I've heard reports that GLX pedals are also Boss knock-offs. Could be worth a try(?)
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-GUITAR-LIMITER-PEDAL-GLX-Boss-Hog-Metal-Effects_W0QQitemZ380178659803QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item588469f9db"]GLX Bass Limiter[/url]

[quote name='nick' post='665721' date='Nov 25 2009, 10:57 PM']Yeah...the Behringer limiter does seem a bit delicate, not bad sounding though IMHO. Not tried them myself, but I've heard reports that GLX pedals are also Boss knock-offs. Could be worth a try(?)
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-GUITAR-LIMITER-PEDAL-GLX-Boss-Hog-Metal-Effects_W0QQitemZ380178659803QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item588469f9db"]GLX Bass Limiter[/url][/quote]

I have a GLX EQ, very solid. Actually seemed a little more than the boss, as the round edges mean less susceptible to knocks chipping it.