Why become a member? ×

Ashdown or Marshall

Marvin

Looking at getting a 300w combo for pub gigging.

Marshall MB4210 [url="http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=MB4210&pageType=SPECS"]http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?pr...;pageType=SPECS[/url]

or

Ashdown MAG C115-300 EVO II Combo [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=77"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=77[/url]
Both about the same price
Is one better than the other, eg reliability etc?

Edited by Marvin

I have the Marshall MB4210 which I use regularly with a couple bands and it has never let me down. I sometimes use the matching 1x15 cab for gigs, not for volume but just because it annoys the guitarists! I do know some people have had problems with theirs, but touchwood, mine has been fine.

The reason I chose it over the Ashdown is I just felt it was more versatile and actually had a nicer tone in my opinion. Just to put that into context, I am not an Ashdown hater, and did not think it was "wooly", I just felt (in my opinion) that the Marshall had a better "rock" tone.

See if you can find a local dealer and try them both, it's the only way to be sure!

Thanks.

I did have a play around on a Park practice amp a couple of months ago (which I believe is something to do with Marshall) and that had a good sound. And I've got to say for 15w was loud, it kept up with a drummer and guitarist, albeit full volume.

I've got the Marshall 4210 myself. It's a cracker.
Tried quite a few amps when I went to the store and for the price bracket this one kicked the bejesus out of everything else.
Only downside for me is, the cooling fan is a noisy bugger. Only really an issue for quiet practice at home of course, at a gig it wouldn't be at all noticeable. I'm thinking of trying to source a silent PC internal fan that would fit and see if I can jerry-rig it in there.

I was in this quandry a while ago, I read quite a lot about how the Marshalls have a few reliability issues and then bought the Ashdown.

Three Ashdowns later, I gave up and bought something else.

Moral of the story is buy what you like and give it a fair trial, there's a lot of stuff spake on the Intraweb, but not all of it will apply...I reckon either would do a good job for you, and at a least will have a year's warranty for you to put it through its paces.

You can't argue with the pricing of the Ashdown stuff, some people have issues with the tone but I never have and know two other bassists with them, one who never had any trouble and the other with a couple of problems along the line. Make of that what you will!

Got myself a MAG15-300 and love it! :)

I had a Marshall BassState before with 5 band graphic. Decided on the Ashdown as it looked more robust (+ cool vu meter!) The Marshall graphic was slider controls and was easily knocked and had to be repaired a number of times.

The MAG has been good to me so far (18 months +) and I love the clear tone. Also useful to have inbuilt DI output.

Many thanks to you all.

Found out that my local music store stocks both, so probably best if I pop along and have a noodle. Also a good friend, and fellow bassist, knows of someone who has just bought an ashdown, so may fire a few questions that way.