Why become a member? ×

Taming your DI

bassbloke

Here is my problem. I have a Tech soundsystems TVM head. It's a solid state head with passive EQ. I like to drive the gain stage quite hard because that's the sound I like (usually set to around 3 o'clock). I also boost both treble and bass EQ on the bass. It's a bit of a thuggish approach, but I like the sound and it certainly cuts.

The issue is that the DI output is really high and frequently causes problems for soundmen. I can get it back down to an acceptable level by dropping the input gain and switching to active input, but that fundamentally alters the sound of the amp and I have to push the master volume.

Would a line out to an external DI with level control solve my problem?

[quote name='bassbloke' post='662698' date='Nov 23 2009, 02:27 PM']Here is my problem. I have a Tech soundsystems TVM head. It's a solid state head with passive EQ. I like to drive the gain stage quite hard because that's the sound I like (usually set to around 3 o'clock). I also boost both treble and bass EQ on the bass. It's a bit of a thuggish approach, but I like the sound and it certainly cuts.

The issue is that the DI output is really high and frequently causes problems for soundmen. I can get it back down to an acceptable level by dropping the input gain and switching to active input, but that fundamentally alters the sound of the amp and I have to push the master volume.

Would a line out to an external DI with level control solve my problem?[/quote]

do you have an effects send socket...this will send a light signal to the desk but is usually a 1/4 unbalanced jack

iirc di out is before the preamp and gain?? would need to check this on my combo but the effects send and return is defo before the preamp...but is 1/4"

I thought Effects send and return is usually after preamp it certainly was on my old Hartke HA7000 - I used it to bypass the preamp. The DI on mine has a pre or post EQ switch, but I think it still comes after the gain stage, hence the problem with the hot output when I crank the gain.

I think the attenuator is the perfect solution, simple and effective and small enough for me not to forget to pack it. Thank you very much for that advice.

Sounds to me that by raising the input gain, you are turning your DI output up so high it is in effect becoming a line level output rather than a mic. You could try an XLR to jack lead that you then plug into an external DI box, which in effect works as an attenuator as Stewart suggested.

Otherwise, the soundman could just convert his input gain on his desk to line level instead of mic - if it is that clever. Unless you are talking studio recordings, I doubt that crosstalk from his loom would be the least of his worries!

I bought a small Art DI box for exactly the same issue. my signal has alweways been far too hot as I've always liked to overdrive the preamp to get my sound. The Art DI has 2 pads so you can drop it by 10dB and it that isn't enought, it has a second 10dB pad to drop it ever further. I have mine coming from the line out of my Trace combo

[quote name='bassbloke' post='663133' date='Nov 23 2009, 08:25 PM'][b]I thought Effects send and return is usually after preamp it certainly was on my old Hartke HA7000[/b] - I used it to bypass the preamp. The DI on mine has a pre or post EQ switch, but I think it still comes after the gain stage, hence the problem with the hot output when I crank the gain.

I think the attenuator is the perfect solution, simple and effective and small enough for me not to forget to pack it. Thank you very much for that advice.[/quote]

you are right...i didnt even realise this as i was using my bddi on effects loop and though i had a clean signal straight to vol

i checked my swr workingmans 12" combo spec...the effects loop is POST eq and PRE main amp..not as i thought before the preamp

know knowing this and that it is controlled by my gain i can go back to the bddi on the effects loop and add gain via the combo front

Edited by mrcrow