Why become a member? ×

Creating a scratchplate from "scratch"

boabskiboab

Hey all,

I have recently bought a G&L L2000 from a fellow bc'er.

It is in a natural finish, but will be going in for a oly white refin soon.

I think the bass would look sweet with a scratchplate.

So my question is...

How do i go about creating a scratchplate for a bass which never came with a scratchplate?

Has anyone done this before?

[quote name='boabskiboab' post='658418' date='Nov 18 2009, 07:08 PM']Hey all,

I have recently bought a G&L L2000 from a fellow bc'er.

It is in a natural finish, but will be going in for a oly white refin soon.

I think the bass would look sweet with a scratchplate.

So my question is...

How do i go about creating a scratchplate for a bass which never came with a scratchplate?

Has anyone done this before?[/quote]

You can buy blanks.

If you get a grease pen you can outline the shape of what you want on your bass, and then you could cut out card of the right colour in that shape and see if it works visually.

If it works and you like it, then you'll need to trace the shape accurately and then cut the blank to shape (use the right tools, or get someone to do it for you if you've not done this kind of thing before).

You'll also need to decide where the screws go to hold the thing in place and intact, but you don't want too many of them. Most scratchplates have between eight and twelve screws, you don't want more than that.

You'll also need to think about what routes you'll need to make to accommodate any electronics you're planning on covering up.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='658473' date='Nov 18 2009, 07:54 PM']Assuming that nothing is actually attached to the plate, you could consider fixing it onto the bass with something like photographic adhesive spray - then you wouldn't need to put screw holes into your lovely bass.

G.[/quote]

True, although that would depend on the finish. It's it's poly then no problem, but adhesive spray might just eat right through nitro.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='658475' date='Nov 18 2009, 07:55 PM']True, although that would depend on the finish. It's it's poly then no problem, but adhesive spray might just eat right through nitro.[/quote]

tell me about it....i got bostik cement on my rickenbacker fitting a little masking plate around the badass conversion...the glue melted the paint