Why become a member? ×

Does anyone own/use an ADA MP-1 / MB-1

Dood

Hey all!

After watching too many You Tube videos I find myself gassing for a decent 'distortion preamp' - preferable MIDI controllable - there are ways around it if not MIDI as my effects unit has external controllers - but anyway, I digress. I'd originally kept an eye out for a Marshall JMP-1 - but having heard the likes of the Mesa Triaxis and ADA MP-1 - I like the more agressive tones they deal up. (That said - a JMP-1 w/tweaking could probably do similar). The Triaxis is just stupid money and is physically a very deep preamp. The ADA however, looks pretty good - and for guitar sounds lethal.. mm!!! I like.

Anyaway, just looking for views and opinions. I'm gonna spend a bit of time looking through the threads at ADADEPOT too.

[quote name='Stickman' post='658355' date='Nov 18 2009, 05:53 PM']Hey dood,

If you don't mind a guitarist's point of view give Dave Ray a shout - he has owned both in the past. We both loved the tones of the MP-1 back in the day but going back to it years later I think he found it somewhat lacking.[/quote]

Cool! I'll give Dave a shout! Thanks chap! - There's a man with discerning guitar tone taste!

[quote name='owen' post='658721' date='Nov 18 2009, 11:16 PM']I used to use an ADA. I never really used the distortion stuff. I sold it way too cheap. I would take it back now.

If you have any questions which I have not already proved that I cannot answer, fire away :)[/quote]

It's all a bit of gass really. I have the most amazing deep, phat clean tone, however I am looking for a rack unit to slide in my spare 1u space in my rack to add some grunge, drive or all out nuclear assault. I've been listening to all sorts of demos on the web and you tube or set ups and have started narrowing down units that *might* be what I am looking for *before* I go down the custom route. My backline is akin to a top notch PA signal path - thus, i dont want to just stuff a distortion pedal in to the input - it doesnt sound good! my thoughts are either to model using my line 6 stuff - or get a decent guitar preamp with a 'cab sim' built in. I like this route better as my rig stays in the rack. The MIDI preamp route means that I also control everything with a single MIDI controller out front. My signal, as usual will be split so that the bottom end of the bass gets through so I lose no bottom when the drive kicks in.

My other route, which I had thought about will be something like the Ampeg SVP-BSP - yes, thats right, the Billy Sheehan preamp that I bought and sold - funny how you end up panging for what you used to own!!! Grrrr - but I sold it as it didnt sound right with my old cabinets.

If you have any comments, shoot them right back. Thanks! ;o)

I guess that the good bit for overdrive would be that the EQ is programmable and has moveable EQ points. I really cannot remember much more about the unit as far as overdrive goes. It has 1 if not 2 programmable FX loops but they were pretty noisy on mine. Not much info, but as much as I can usefully give.

I can only imagine that they would be dirt cheao by now.

Edited by owen

I've been working on something like this that may intrest you it's essentially a 7 - 15ish watt amp depending on what power amp valve you use in it (it's cathode bias so as long as it has the same pinout as a 6v6 / el34 / kt88 type valve it'll be fine to stick it in) which is ran into a dummy load, so you can either use it to power a speaker or as a distorted preamp which sounds mint and is quite flexible in terms of sounds.

I think it'd be doable to get someone to build you one into a 1u rack case although you'd definatly have to run some fans full wack on it to stop the dummy load melting.

[quote name='umph' post='666899' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:35 PM']I've been working on something like this that may intrest you it's essentially a 7 - 15ish watt amp depending on what power amp valve you use in it (it's cathode bias so as long as it has the same pinout as a 6v6 / el34 / kt88 type valve it'll be fine to stick it in) which is ran into a dummy load, so you can either use it to power a speaker or as a distorted preamp which sounds mint and is quite flexible in terms of sounds.

I think it'd be doable to get someone to build you one into a 1u rack case although you'd definatly have to run some fans full wack on it to stop the dummy load melting.[/quote]

Hey!! Well, we must be on a similar wavelength! - I've been hoarding schematics diagrams of some well known preamps that I like the sound of. - I can myself build and put together such a preamp, given time and inclination - however - as I was hoping for something with MIDI implementation, it would have proved to be be a bit more of a head ache - hence my looking for the ADA or JMP-1. If that fails, then it will be the 'homebrew' route instead.

It's a amzing when you start delving in to designs - how similar a lot of the most well known distortion circuits are!

I used to own a Warwich Quadruplet preamp. It also features a small power amp section in to a dummy load to give a realistic 'powr amp' feel. It worked quite well and I think if you can get something together it'd be a great alternative to all the 'amp sims' on the market. go for it! - For now, I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a s/h midi pre. (At the right price!! the Triaxis is well over priced!)