Why become a member? ×

You Tube Clip from last week

sshorepunk

A video of part of a set we did last weekend has shown up on You Tube, it's one of the tracks we did with aziz ibrahim (SR's / IB) it's My Star, one of the tracks he wrote with Ian Brown

Jap P bass with all strings down a tone thru EBS TD650 and 2 x 410 neoline cabs

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAuoW4emFOk"]Don't know how to embed youtube!![/url]

Thanks Mr Fox, I guess one of the disadvantages of the solund being recorded straight into a video camera is that the bass gets sucked out

The band is going well, we were playing live a lot and it has tightened us up a lot, got a bit of a break now and we're re recording some older tracks and getting a few new tracks together

Playing with someone like Aziz is an experience, he has been around a bit (simply red, stone roses) and can be demanding when it comes to getting stuff together! The track on the video is off Ian Browns forst album I think (correct me if I'm wrong, I was into the SR's but lost intrest with his solo stuff)

He has a duo with a tabla player called Dahl, does a lot of asian style blues stuff, worth seeing from what I hear, we are doing an acoustic set in december as support to him and Dahl

We're doing a date with the Blockheads next month, was going to see them anyway, but now I'll be there playing :)

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='653315' date='Nov 13 2009, 08:14 AM']The track on the video is off Ian Browns forst album I think (correct me if I'm wrong, I was into the SR's but lost intrest with his solo stuff)[/quote]

I think it was a single, I remember it anyway. I was working with a bloke at the time who was a massive Ian Brown fan, he was always playing that album.

Cool that you're hob-nobbin wi't Manc stars. :) I want a video of you with Clint Boon next.

[quote name='Toasted' post='653608' date='Nov 13 2009, 02:01 PM']Tony, you're a legend.[/quote]

Cheers Joe! It's nice to be back playing, and playing with good musicians after a bit of a break!

we may get chance to play with another well known guitarist in the near future, still in the planning stage yet though :rolleyes:

You coming to bass day?

BTW, this was a 4 bass gig!!!! too many changes!!!! I use my Sei 5 string and Pedulla for our regular set, which preceded what you see in the video, I then played Corpses on a P bass, cos thats what he wanted, although that will be played on my Sei bass next time (my j-retro nails the tone) and My Star is played on a fully detuned P bass, didn't wanna take the chance of moving all 4 strings up and down a tone, was worried the tuning may not settle. I went on the side of caution and did a quick bass swap!

I swapped back to my Sei right at the end for a quick blast thru 20th Century boy to finish the set, that went down great :)

Tony

Edited by sshorepunk

Ive played with Aziz on many occasions, at jam nights and not found it too amazing at all. great player, ok guy, and all that, but when he's on, its really a case of "get out of my way"
no empathy at all ,sorry no offence meant in anyway(belive me) just the way it was when I played with him :)
EDIT:probably wrong to critisise but too late now!
Hope no-one takes this in the "wrong" way!

Edited by witterth

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='653964' date='Nov 13 2009, 07:17 PM']Hey, all opinions are welcome, it's an open forum. My only experience has been whilst doing a few recent gigs with him. Good player and a nice bloke, but I suspect given a bit of space he has the capability to go off on one

T[/quote]
yeah I accept what youre saying T, is just that he TAKES the space,and anyone in the way gets run over in the middle of the night!
thanks for taking things in the spirit meant by the way,
I found playing with the guy a wholly "un" enjoyable experince, and I belive bass chatters have the term "guitard" which Azis (again my opinion)maybe fits
dont get me wrong on the other level, I'd more than happily say any of this to his face BTW, I'm not slyly bad mouthing him on the forum thinking he'll never know :rolleyes:
we all know what we think are "better" players, and, I suppose at the end of the day it was some ten years,maybe since I worked with the guy. as you're having such a positive experince maybe things have changed :)
all just opinions though eh?
(I often wonder about the term "capability" when used as a byword for "virtuosity" ..can often be at odds KWIM?)