Why become a member? ×

Jazz Pickups.

beerdragon

Showing my lack of PUP knowledge here. But are Bridge and neck P/ups wired the same? i wondered what would happen it say, asked Wizard Pickups for my own requirements. What i'm after really is a growl similar to a Warwick on a Jazz. i have a feeling it's Amp and Speaker i need to get it rather than Pups. anyone with some suggestions.?

Don't know the answer Beer dragon.

But I phoned the Wizard chaps, described to them, as best I could the sound that I was after. They made their recommendations and fortunately it all worked out well. Pick ups arrived, I wired them in and...joy of joy, they worked and were exacctly what I was after.

All the best, Gary

I've got Wizard 84s on my MIM Jazz and it's pretty capable of growling. I've got a S1 switch fitted too which adds to that side of it when both are switched in series.

In answer to your original question the pups are wired the same - in standard wiring they're just mixed together via their respective volume pots. The two pickups are labelled as different though - don't have it to hand to check but not sure if it's physical size and/or impedance.

Mike

[quote name='gary mac' post='653577' date='Nov 13 2009, 01:24 PM']Don't know the answer Beer dragon.

But I phoned the Wizard chaps, described to them, as best I could the sound that I was after. They made their recommendations and fortunately it all worked out well. Pick ups arrived, I wired them in and...joy of joy, they worked and were exacctly what I was after.

All the best, Gary[/quote]
I might do that. i have had Wizard 84 on MIM jazz and they certainly made a difference. and thanks Thinman.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='652895' date='Nov 12 2009, 06:44 PM']Showing my lack of PUP knowledge here. But are Bridge and neck P/ups wired the same? i wondered what would happen it say, asked Wizard Pickups for my own requirements. What i'm after really is a growl similar to a Warwick on a Jazz. i have a feeling it's Amp and Speaker i need to get it rather than Pups. anyone with some suggestions.?[/quote]

wired the same..yes...hot to centre pin ground to pin 3 or 1 whatever the convention is

they are [b]wound[/b] differently so as to buck hum when used together
they need to be purchased in pairs..but only for that reason

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='656040' date='Nov 16 2009, 03:45 PM']And on some basses (like Fenders) the bridge pup can be slightly longer than the neck pup.
just something to watch out for.[/quote]

check dave!
that is the true matched pair...should be wound so that the bridge pup gives more output...
a bart set is like that...