Why become a member? ×

Replacement neck for Musicman bass?

kets

Looking for some help please folks.

I have a '77 Musicman Sabre with maple neck/Rosewood, however it has a warped neck. It's been like that for some time, but I'd like to get the action lower which I can't do. I've seen the graphite replacement's, which are pretty dear (Wish I'd seen the link to the one on ebay sooner) but no one seems to do wooden replacements, probably to do with licensing.

1. Does anyone know of any aftermarket wooden replacment necks?

2. or has anyone adapted a P-bass neck to fit-The dimensions appears similar?

Or Allparts does replacement necks with blank headstocks, which could be shaped into a Musicman shape.

Any thoughts?

[quote name='Paul_C' post='652065' date='Nov 11 2009, 10:17 PM']it might be possible to make the current neck playable by removing the frets and levelling the fingerboard then re-fretting - not a cheap option though[/quote]
Yep, I Kinda thought that. I guy I took it to a years ago who diagnosed the warped neck and hinted that repair would be neither cheap, easy or even effective. I've just put up with it and played it anyway, but it's got quite a high action which I'd like to remedy.

It seems to be warped between the third and fifth frets and as a result you need to have the action really high to stop the buzzing.

I have a spare 3 bolt MM maple f/b neck from a '78 Stingray in great nick although the truss rod needs replacing. Paul_C offered to do it once for 40 quid. I probably don't need it anymore since I had the current neck on my Stingray dressed and refretted. I paid quite a bit for it (120 quid) because they're so uncommon and I'd looking for that plus shipping from NZ.

Alternatively there's a graphite jobbie from Status too.

[quote name='kets' post='652184' date='Nov 12 2009, 01:03 AM']Yep, I Kinda thought that. I guy I took it to a years ago who diagnosed the warped neck and hinted that repair would be neither cheap, easy or even effective. I've just put up with it and played it anyway, but it's got quite a high action which I'd like to remedy.

It seems to be warped between the third and fifth frets and as a result you need to have the action really high to stop the buzzing.[/quote]

Take it to a reputable local repairer and get a quote - it might not be too bad if it's a very small area that's high.

It might be possible to just remove a couple of frets and lower the offending section, but without being able to take measurements it's impossible to say.