Why become a member? ×

Health & Bass Playing

Webby308

Bit of a less upbeat topic here - do any of you fellow BCer's have routines for keeping aching limbs going?
As I play with a pick, the action my right arm/hand has to perform has got my right arm/shoulder very achey (if that's a word).

Does anyone out there have any good remedies or exercises they can recommend to help - not just my wonky arm - but anyone who
stands up and plays?

Thanks all!

Hiyah

I had some problems when I moved from 90% pick playing to 70% finger playing a year or so ago (after 40 years of pick playing).
I had aching arms, shoulders and elbows ...

Physio worked out I was leaning forward and arching my shoulders more than before so just got me to stand up straight. Not all the time but between songs or phrases and just pull my shoulders back. This opened up the nerve paths in my shoulders and fixed it.

I also use a powerball for arm fitness.

[quote name='gary mac' post='649721' date='Nov 9 2009, 02:44 PM']I have aches and pains before even starting to play, had to dose up with super strong co-proxamols pre gig on saturday and a top up at half time. :)

There were a number of articles on this sort of subject in recent issues of BGM. Posture and exercises etc.[/quote]

Yeah that was Alexander technique. It's very good for this sort of thng.

usually you'll find that aches and pains and stuff are because you're not standing correctly, or your bass is looking cool (ie slung low) which is no bloody good for your wellbeing.

Doing stuff like pilates/alexander technique will help improve all types of things, but it can be hard to get out of bad habits.

When I rehearse I always make sure that my bass is usually higher than if playing live, because it's more comfortable.

have lots of water!!! nerves and muscles dry out quickly when your body is even slightly dehydrated!!! have a pint of water to quaff when setting up and strapin on the bass.
make sure both of your feet are evenly grounded, you dont want to throw your weight off to one side.
Relax!!! bass playing is fun, and should never be tense or painful.

I had the same problems as you when i was making the change from electric to upright. you have to get it right with double bass or it WILL SCREW YOUR BODY!!!

[quote name='Badass' post='650441' date='Nov 10 2009, 10:26 AM']I bought this book. Best thing I ever did, and it helped me no end: [url="http://www.drkertz.com/buy_book.html"]Bassists Guide Injury Management, Prevention and better Health[/url][/quote]

Handy pointer, Thanks
Santa will be getting a letter .......

Thanks guys

That book does look handy, I'll take a look at it too. All the advice to look after posture and drink water and stuff comes as a warning to me that middle aged blokes should learn that they are no longer the indestructable rock stars (kind of thing) their brain still tells them they are!

Off for a pint (of water...)

[quote name='Wil' post='650501' date='Nov 10 2009, 11:46 AM']I use an all natural herbal remedy with pain killing properties to relieve any aches I might have after a tough practice. The only downside is it really gives you the munchies.[/quote]

big fat chronic blunt by the sounds of things :)

I've recently started to get a few aches in my left hand & my index finger on my right hand - not sure if this is the beginnings of CTS? I've been taking painkillers before rehearsals to try & pre-empt anything starting up.

I read an article in a copy of BGM about taking vitamin B6 as an alternative so I might try that. The only other thing I think it might be is the start of arthritis (sp?), as I know my mum had it when she was alive.

Otherwise it's off to see the Quack....