Why become a member? ×

A narrow escape..and a basic mistake

I was noodling around on my Schecter 5 string yesterday,getting ready for today's
band practice when a couple of things freaked me out.

I was playing through the Zoom b21u fx box and my Kustom 15 watt amp.
After about half an hour , a frying noise occurred. (The Zoom was running on batteries)

I was praising my amp to people on this forum in the past , saying how powerful
it is and that it can handle the 5 string no problem.

As you can imagine,as I haven't used the amp for a long time I thought it was a blown speaker.

I changed the batteries on my Zoom as I thought that they would be flat.

Anyway , fast forward to this morning : We played most of he set. Then the frying noise returned.
I disconnected the pedal. No good.
Guess what it was: The battery on the Schecter . Active bass ! :blush:

As we were leaving,my bass fell out of the gig bag onto the floor :)
Not a mark on it. :rolleyes: Second 'scrape' I've had with this,and for some reason it seems to be bulletproof.
So, I think after that I should keep it and improve my playing. :lol:
I am a plonker tho'

Has anyone got any similar tales to tell??

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Similar amp story. I was doing a function gig a few years ago and I'd borrowed a bass amp for the gig as mine was at another venue cos I was playing at a festival the following day. Plugged it in, strapped on the bass, started playing, lots of blinking lights on the amp indicating it was getting a signal but no sound! I started checking all the volume controls and checking it wasn't muted etc but I couldn't find anything. After about 10 minutes of scratching my head I was starting to freak out thinking that I'd broken it so I called a sound guy over. His first word to me were "this might be the problem mate" and showed me the speaker lead that I hadn't plugged into the cab! Pretty embarrassing considering it was a dep gig and I was trying to impress the band leader in the hope of getting some more work!

1) I may possibly have plugged the pedal board feed from my Bass Pod Xt Pro into the output from the Aviom stagebox to my sub mixer. Both send power - the BOD to the floorboard and the Aviom to my submixer.

Depending on how you look at it, [i]luckily[/i] I think the Avioms power feed won (I would have had my @rse kicked by the sound guy if I had fritzed the Aviom stage box) and the Aviom fritzed the BOD's floor board supply - the lucky bit being that Line6 repaired the BOD for nowt. Of course it was probably something completely different that did for the BOD :) which is now back in full fettle and working fine (though possibly for sale in a GAS induced rig cutting operation if anyone's interested :rolleyes:) .

2) In a gig situation, end of the evening at our favourite gig, we've done 20 min's of "encores" - see Guy Garvey's Radio4 programme on the development of the same - I've taken the bass off, switched off the radio pack, but we get pushed for another so on with the bass & radio pack and the band launch into another song, but with no bass. Increasing panic on my part checking bass is plugged in transmitter on, amp on, volume on the bass two or three times, but nothing. Then I finally look down and realise I had also kicked the volume pedal on the floorboard down to zero. DOH!!!! And I joined in for the start of the second verse I think[url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url]

Edited by WalMan