Why become a member? ×

Wanting a propper bass... but what is there?

karlthebassist

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='648784' date='Nov 8 2009, 04:19 PM']Somthing like an ibanez SR1000EFM prestige REALLY grabs my attention as they look stunning, and i like ibanez necks, but ive never played one...[/quote]

I have one, five string version - great sounding, versalite basses!... In fact, sometimes even [i]too [/i]versalite, if you know, what I'm sayin' :)

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='648784' date='Nov 8 2009, 02:19 PM']Somthing like an ibanez SR1000EFM prestige REALLY grabs my attention as they look stunning, and i like ibanez necks, but ive never played one...[/quote]

Ibanez basses are usually a safe bet , ive owned a few and they've all beeen really good basses

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='648812' date='Nov 8 2009, 02:42 PM']Yeah I'm cool with Jazzes, but I've had a hard time in the past getting a beefy enough tone out of them.

Now a Lakland is something I would REALLY like to try. What sort of model are you thinking? The 44-02 really grabs me as being rather sexy - theres; a guy on here selling one i think, but wants like 900, plus i dont have the money yet anyway. Are the Skylines as good as a USA made bass? Juan Alderete is one of my favorite players at the moment and he switched to Laklands from Fenders I noticed...[/quote]

Heh, that'll be me but I PM'ed you :)

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='650532' date='Nov 10 2009, 01:21 PM']One day I'll find a bass with a modern neck/body profile, but proper 70s jazz-style growling tone. I'll fit an S1 switch plus an audere pre, and I'll be in absolute bass heaven.[/quote]
God! That's a really good idea - I assume you're talking about wiring the Jazz singles in series. Now I'm going to have to try it....

As far as choices go, I'd still go for a MusicMan Stingray with a 3 band EQ, or a Sabre (2 pup version, pre EB) if you can find one. The problem with the Stingray comments is they're all saying stuff like "one trick pony" and "limited sound", but this is misleading. A 3 band Stingray with a series/parallel/single coil switch can produce a good broad range of tones - it's just it still sounds like a Stingray. That doesn't mean it's not versatile.

I think every bass player should own a Stingray at least once in their lifetime - same as being on the dole or running a Triumph Trident. :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='652868' date='Nov 12 2009, 06:15 PM']I think every bass player should own a Stingray at least once in their lifetime - same as being on the dole or running a Triumph Trident. :)[/quote]
+1..started out with a Ray...done several years on the jazz......gone back to a 79 Pre EB Ray-no regrets, a bit like getting that dirty girl back from teenage days for a play or two :rolleyes: -rudeness i like - i also find stingrays really phat sounding with the tone rolled off - great for dance music, dub , drum n bass vibes etc

Edited by Rasta

I was in the same boat as you.

I got fed up with the backache of gigging with my TRB 6p, and went looking for a £700 ish (2nd hand ) 5 string Bass for the funk covers band I am in.
I love the sound of old Stingrays, and went to Absolute music to try a few out.
I found that I did not like the Hi-Fi sound of the new stingrays, and did not get on with the necks on them. I kept pulling the G string off the side of the fretboard.
I also tried a few warwicks because I love the Zender jamiroquai sound and thought they might suit the funk band, but found them to aggresive sounding for the older tunes, and the fat necks uncomfortable.
This has shown me that no matter how many other people rave about a bass, and no matter how much you like the sound of a bass, It may not be physically right for you.
It is realy important to have a proper try out before you buy.

I ended up buying a used Lakland Skyline 55-2. This is a very nicely made bass, assembled in indonesia, and then finished in the US. Many people on Harmony-central etc. state that Lakland have higher build quality than many U.S. fenders.
The action and setup had been butchered by the previous owner, but I have restored the setup to factory settings from the Lakland website, and have grown to love this bass. The pickup and eq options had me fiddling for days to work out the tones I wanted for the funk band, and it can do them all:
It can do a good facsimile of a vintage stingray sound on the back pickup in dual mode. A Jazz bridge sound in back only single mode, and a jazz neck sound on the neck Pup. So I can go from motown to 'chilles in the flick of a switch between songs. I am so pleased with myself that I bought this instead of the Stingray I have wanted for years. I can get the old stingray sound that I have in my head, as well as many more great vintage funk sounds.
The dust is realy building up on my other basses now.
I think the Lakland 55-2 can be found used for the sort of money you have, and will do the jobs you want it to do very well.
I think that if you like your current Jazz bases, then a Lakland will suit you as well. You should have them on your shortlist to try.

Good luck finding 'the one' - I have.

Moo.

Edited by Moo

[quote name='henry norton' post='652868' date='Nov 12 2009, 06:15 PM']God! That's a really good idea - I assume you're talking about wiring the Jazz singles in series. Now I'm going to have to try it....[/quote]

Yup. It totally changes the tonal balance of the sound. What's crazy is that I've seen reviews of jazz basses with s1 switches online that list it as a negative feature which I just can't understand. t's not like you HAVE to use it! For me, it's very good for providing that solid, reassuring bottom some tracks need without treading on the toes of other instruments. A problem-solving tone that just fits in a mix instantly. Like drenching a pudding in double cream, just makes it work pretty much whatever the situation. And it costs virtually nuh-uh-uh-thing, the best price of all when you come down with a bad dose of GAS.