Why become a member? ×

CIJ RI 75 Jazz

OutToPlayJazz

I bought a lovely unmarked 2007 CIJ 75 RI Jazz the other week & it's turned into a bit of a project.

It came to me with no scratch guard, so I added a genuine Fender one as a temporary measure...

Next, I decided it would look good with pearloid white instead...

And today a Gotoh 201 bridge arrived in the post, so that's gone on & I've done a full intonation check/neck shim on the micro tilt screw to adapt for the extra height of the new bridge.

Next, pickups...

Starting to look cool. That Gotoh bridge is nice, I had one before and I think I payed around £25 for it. Half the price of a baddass and just as good.

What pickups are you looking at getting? I`ve got a Mexican 70`s re-issue and am thinking of changing the pickups so any info would be appreciated.

Jez

Well after lots of research and chatting to people, the Nordstrands seem to win hands down. I'm personally going for either the NJ4SE/SV hum cancelling split coil units. The main reason for the hum cancelling is that as with all single coil basses, this is really noisy for 60 cycle hum & earthing crackles. Especially with the wiring in my house!

My eyes were first opened to Nordstrands when I played Higgie's Stingray with a Nordy pickup in it. The pickup was crystal clear, powerful & punchy over every frequency & just sounded fantastic.

The more outlandish plan was to go for Nordy Big Singles and get it routed out for the bigger units, but there's no changing it back from that for a future owner, so I'm keeping to the more traditionally styled jazz units for this bass. Never know in the future, though...

Rich.

• 3 weeks later...

We're following similar paths with our 75 reissues.....

My CIJ 75 started as a natural ash with white pickguard, maple neck and white blocks.

It now has black pickguard, Gotoh 201 bridge, Nordstrand pickups and a Marcus Miller J-Retro preamp. I'm lovin' it, lovin' it, lovin' it.
:)