Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

S.O.S. 34" scale strings but with long silk wraps!

warwickhunt

Never had a problem with strings or stringing my Bolin bass until now!

For some reason it has decided to eat strings and really p*ss me off. :rolleyes: I fitted an 'as new' set of LaBella flats to the locking tuner; tuned up to pitch and... ping! One snapped G string (others were fine). I then bought a new set of identical strings from a BCer and when I went to take the G out of the packet (left the other 3 strings from the last set on the bass), I noted that it said the silk should be wrapped around the post NOT the metal part of the string. :lol: Hmmm the G string tuner is close to the nut (though not much different to quite a few 2+2 headstocks) hence there is no silk or slimming of the string to clamp/wrap around the tuner but I thought I'd maybe been unlucky and I'd give it a go but I'd put a few wraps around the tuner to alleviate any potential bad break angle; tuned to pitch and... ping (NO I am not trying to go an octave above standard). Well that had me well hacked off so I decided to fit some brand new DR Sunbeams... OH YES, same thing. Now this is chuffin annoying as I've had Sunbeams on previous.

To save me any further heartache, does anyone know of any standard 34" scale 'nickel' strings that have wraps that virtually start at or just after the nut? Please save my sanity (and pocket). :)

I am using status round core nickles on my Bolin, but that is 35". Interestingly, I have tried a set of status and a set of roto plastic wraps on thd bolin and both gave HUGELY inconsitent volumes from string to string on the piezo. More to do with tension accross the piezo pick ups. I do realise that this revelation is a pretty minority intrest one.

I'm sure plenty of people will shoot me down here, but I don't trust strings that have been 'dismounted' (if that's the right word) and then re-strung. I'm sure they'd probably be okay, but to me it just feels like pushing my luck....sorry to hear of your troubles!

Give Lawrence at Overwater a ring: I had a very similar problem with a .134 'B' of theirs which, although standard 34" scale, was too long as the winder is closer to the nut than normal hence the problem. When I spoke to him he rummaged around and found another shorter version which he then sent on an no-fee exchange basis. So, it would appear they have a variety of non-standard lengths available. It might be useful to know what thickness you are after before ringing. I'd say he'd sell single strings too.

Incidentally, I highly recommend Overwater nickel medium weight strings: easily the best I've ever used - and good value too.

Edited by sdgrsr400

[quote name='owen' post='647561' date='Nov 6 2009, 07:31 PM']I am using status round core nickles on my Bolin, but that is 35". Interestingly, I have tried a set of status and a set of roto plastic wraps on thd bolin and both gave HUGELY inconsitent volumes from string to string on the piezo. More to do with tension accross the piezo pick ups. I do realise that this revelation is a pretty minority intrest one.[/quote]

Will look into this

[quote name='Moos3h' post='647563' date='Nov 6 2009, 07:35 PM']I'm sure plenty of people will shoot me down here, but I don't trust strings that have been 'dismounted' (if that's the right word) and then re-strung. I'm sure they'd probably be okay, but to me it just feels like pushing my luck....sorry to hear of your troubles![/quote]

In some respects I agree with you BUT that was just one of the three strings. The other two strings were brand new out of the packets!

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='647595' date='Nov 6 2009, 08:08 PM']Give Lawrence at Overwater a ring: I had a very similar problem with a .134 'B' of theirs which, although standard 34" scale, was too long as the winder is closer to the nut than normal hence the problem. When I spoke to him he rummaged around and found another shorter version which he then sent on an no-fee exchange basis. So, it would appear they have a variety of non-standard lengths available. It might be useful to know what thickness you are after before ringing. I'd say he'd sell single strings too.

Incidentally, I highly recommend Overwater nickel medium weight strings: easily the best I've ever used - and good value too.[/quote]

Will look into this also. :)