Why become a member? ×

Help me sort out my sound....

bumfrog

Hallo

Need some help and to be pointed in the right direction....

At the moment I'm running an Ashdown Superfly with an ashdown mag 2x10 (couldn't afford the superfly cab at the time). Bass currently has jazz aero pups in it. All passive.

Whilst it's ok for rehearsing and small gigs, I'm seemingly having problems getting a sweet sound out of it that I'm truly happy with. I've got a zoom b2 which I sometimes use to give it a bit of ooph, but am looking to maybe just get the amp situation sorted out.

I'm currently in 3 bands, so it's needs to be quite versatile, but not massively so. Most of the stuff I play is funk/soul but need to go from the smooth jazz style sound to fleaesque kick.

Not looking for a stack as I can't be bothered with lugging it about.

So, I know it sounds a bit vague, but if anybody can start pointing me in the right direction I would be most appreciative :)

I would say the man above makes sense....

The Superfly is an odd creature, a friend of mine runs one, through the old ashdown 4 x 8 and 1 x 15 compact cabs... He had a similar problem. he now uses it almost as a power amp only and gets his sound by running it into a POD.

I'd say that maybe somewhere between what the amp puts out and the 2 x 10 can take your loosing a bit of clarity driving it hard. Maybe another 2 x 10 or a 1 x 15 would help round your sound out a little more.

For a little more versatility without too much stress you could try a simple parametric EQ as well... just to round off your tone in certain areas....

thanks for the advice.

I was looking at one of them markbass lm2's, starting to gas now.... grrrr :)

I don't mind getting another cab for bigger gigs, but I'm just not 100% happy with the smaller set up, hence me wondering about a change in head.

Will look in to the parametric eq, thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='bumfrog' post='647046' date='Nov 6 2009, 10:52 AM']I was looking at one of them markbass lm2's, starting to gas now.... grrrr :)[/quote]

I don't know how the LM2 would compare (sonically) with the Superfly.
I run my LM2 totally 'flat' and use a Sansamp to get the sound/s I want.... kind of a tubey warmth?

I would guess your B2 should be capable of getting your tone with a bit of tweaking.

If you can get your rig to sound how you want it to at low volume, then just adding another cab should do the trick.
... and save you some cash!

Your basic, flat sound should be good without having to resort to using the EQ, which I think should only be used for minor tweaks to your sound. An LM2 will be a good starting point to build the next rig. After that I would suggest Aguilar cabs or a Compact.