Why become a member? ×

Quiet Thumper

Low End Bee

I've just had a Wizard Thumper put in my 2007 MIA Precision. I got the shop to ditch the S1 and put in a new CTS vol pot.

When I took it to rehearsal I noticed the volume knob on the bass is silent below 6-7/10. At max volume the red clip light on the amp didn't come on until the input was at about 3 o'clock where the original Fender pickup was doing this at just after 12 o'clock.
My DiMarzio equipped Precision clips at about 10-11 o'clock. I was expecting this to have a similar sort of output.

That said it sounds lovely. With more of a thicker warm P Bass tone than before.

Have the well known guitar shop in Kew done something wrong. Is it a faulty pot/wiring. Or is it the pickup?

I'm rubbish with electrickery me.

Edited by Low End Bee

I did a very similar thing with my '07 S-1, except I had a SD Quarter Pounder put in. My MIM P has a Thumper in it, and I have to say the SD was always noticeably louder. The Thumper isn't quiet enough to be a problem, it just needs the amp turned up a bit higher than the SD did, but it was certainly not as loud as I was expecting.