Why become a member? ×

Help deciding on 15" cab is worth going back to?

Smash

Just starting up another band, thought I had finished but the bug hit again, had my 2nd practice and all is going well, the only thing that I would like to change is maybe my cab (maybe). I am using a Schroeder 1212L with a MarkBass LMK which in my last band was amazing, still baffles me how much output I can get from this little box, but the new group has a guitarist with a completely different sound. In the practice room I unplugged my Schroeder and tried a 1x15 Ashdown cab to see what the bottom end would be like and I wished I hadn't as I really got used to hitting that low B and getting the thud in your chest feeling, but it was useless at the higher registries and therefore I feel looking for a single 15" cab would be no use.
What it boils down to is I would love to have that 15" feeling again accompanied with the 1212L for everything else but can't fathom out what I should look for, either buying a 1212L 8ohm cab and a single 15" 8ohm cab. A single cab is the preferred option but I cant see anything that would be a full sounding without a mixture of a 15" and 10" or 12" in a single cab weighing peanuts... does anyone have ideas?

Thanks Ash

[quote name='Smash' post='646259' date='Nov 5 2009, 02:38 PM']Just starting up another band, thought I had finished but the bug hit again, had my 2nd practice and all is going well, the only thing that I would like to change is maybe my cab (maybe). I am using a Schroeder 1212L with a MarkBass LMK which in my last band was amazing, still baffles me how much output I can get from this little box, but the new group has a guitarist with a completely different sound. In the practice room I unplugged my Schroeder and tried a 1x15 Ashdown cab to see what the bottom end would be like and I wished I hadn't as I really got used to hitting that low B and getting the thud in your chest feeling, but it was useless at the higher registries and therefore I feel looking for a single 15" cab would be no use.
What it boils down to is I would love to have that 15" feeling again accompanied with the 1212L for everything else but can't fathom out what I should look for, either buying a 1212L 8ohm cab and a single 15" 8ohm cab. A single cab is the preferred option but I cant see anything that would be a full sounding without a mixture of a 15" and 10" or 12" in a single cab weighing peanuts... does anyone have ideas?

Thanks Ash[/quote]

I think you are right.... most 15's go to around 3.5 -4khz...and that can be a dull and limiting sound on its own, IMV..
A added horn alone doesn't really do it either as it picks up the missing freqs too high, IMV.

This is why..IMHO..a 15 on the bottom and 2x10 and horn is the best all round option for a full range sound.

some like 12's and that may be the middle ground but I still think you give the amp a lot of work to do EQ-wise..which is ok if you have an amp that can do that.

I use a GS12 and that has too big a hole in it for me.... but my amp gets it out of jail, so much so that I'll add another GS12 as the carrying of them is great ( so light ) and the punch is good..
I suspect I'll get the DB12's in the long run though.........

If someone has re-invented the wheel or got some super 15's..??..then I'd love to hear it...but atm, most I hear have big compromises sound-wise..

Works well with a P-bass and pick, does most 15's tho...

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' post='646451' date='Nov 5 2009, 05:07 PM']I think you are right.... most 15's go to around 3.5 -4khz...and that can be a dull and limiting sound on its own, IMV..[/quote]

One man's dull is another man's warm and fat. I'd also highlight that although no 15" will do anything useful past 4kHz, and many cheap 15"s have output to that treble region, the weak point with common or garden 15"s is a lack of output in the upper midrange combined with too spikey a sound (everything happening around a narrow break-up peak) in the treble.

Don't group all tens into one sound, twelves into another and fifteens into another. As JTUK has said, the GS112s are pretty short of midrange and treble (with the tweeter off) compared to at least one fifteen I'm familiar with.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='646531' date='Nov 5 2009, 06:27 PM']One man's dull is another man's warm and fat. I'd also highlight that although no 15" will do anything useful past 4kHz, and many cheap 15"s have output to that treble region, the weak point with common or garden 15"s is a lack of output in the upper midrange combined with too spikey a sound (everything happening around a narrow break-up peak) in the treble.

Don't group all tens into one sound, twelves into another and fifteens into another. As JTUK has said, the GS112s are pretty short of midrange and treble (with the tweeter off) compared to at least one fifteen I'm familiar with.

Alex[/quote]
Thanks Alex, I had a pair of GS112's before my Schroeder, the sound to me was very warm almost a dullish sound but to my ears was good tone, but with 2 guitars didn't push through that well. I just want to be able to add a bit more depth to what I have already got but if I have to replace my cab for a something with a 15" speaker I don't want to lose that midrange bump which the schroeder pushes out nicely. I do like what you are doing with your cabs, they seem interesting, the big one seems nice.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='646744' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:57 PM']I just wasn't into 15s until I bought my Orange. I really couldn't get on with others I tried. This cab suprised me....a lot.[/quote]
Just seen your list of cabs you have wow... which is your favourite and why?

[quote name='Smash' post='646760' date='Nov 5 2009, 10:22 PM']Just seen your list of cabs you have wow... which is your favourite and why?[/quote]

Hmm! Tough question!

For moving about, the Tecamp M212! Very light. Very very loud and can produce a brilliant tone.

For pure volume and clarity in a small 4x10 package, the HS410. Its gives you everythig you play...very very precise.

For old school fat warm bass with a classic/vintage tone, the Orange cabs. Perfect for a Precision/Jazz. Crank the gain and its perfect for heavy music/punk.

For a combination of vintage/dirty rock n roll with clarity and lots of artiulation, the Aguilar 212s. They also look very cool. Actually, so do the Orange cabs.

Hmmm...I have too many....and I cant think which I'd want to sell...arghghg!

Hope this helps!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='646775' date='Nov 5 2009, 10:35 PM']Hmm! Tough question!

For moving about, the Tecamp M212! Very light. Very very loud and can produce a brilliant tone.

For pure volume and clarity in a small 4x10 package, the HS410. Its gives you everythig you play...very very precise.

For old school fat warm bass with a classic/vintage tone, the Orange cabs. Perfect for a Precision/Jazz. Crank the gain and its perfect for heavy music/punk.

For a combination of vintage/dirty rock n roll with clarity and lots of artiulation, the Aguilar 212s. They also look very cool. Actually, so do the Orange cabs.

Hmmm...I have too many....and I cant think which I'd want to sell...arghghg!

Hope this helps![/quote]
Thanks for that, gives me a little insight to why you have the different combinations, helps.... erm no, now I really am scratching my head on what I really should be looking for, always fancied a lightweight 4x10 for that loud punchiness and then I also fancy a 15 with a 12 for a deeper tone, I can see why you have these different cabs now :)