Why become a member? ×

Mexican P Bass Special

Tinman

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='646164' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:27 PM']Would it have gone along the lines of, "I've bought this bass........"

Try the Squier versions I had one for ages it was amazing would still be my gigging bass if some c*** hadn't nicked it.[/quote]

Hahaha, it would probably go that way. :)

I'll have a look at the Squiers, they're passive aren't they?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='646164' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:27 PM']Would it have gone along the lines of, "I've bought this bass........"[/quote]

[quote name='Tinman' post='646176' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:39 PM']Hahaha, it would probably go that way. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Be prepared for 'I've bought these air tickets to Sri Lanka........!'

Sorry for thread hi-jacking (notttttt!) :) :lol:

As you were! :lol:

[quote name='Tinman' post='646176' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:39 PM']Hahaha, it would probably go that way. :)

I'll have a look at the Squiers, they're passive aren't they?[/quote]

Indeed they are but it wouldn't cost much to put a pre-amp in.

All I'm saying is they are defiantly worth a try.

Edited by waynepunkdude

Ive got a PBass deluxe MiM. Nice bass for the money!! i agree the bridge pickup is a bit too quiet, but i dont use that much, so not really a problem for me. And its got a Leo Quann Badass 2 on it, so as for the stock bridge, i cant comment. Its my stand in bass at the moment, but i wouldnt hesitate to recommend them. For the money they're a bargain IMHO

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='646181' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:45 PM']Be prepared for 'I've bought these air tickets to Sri Lanka........!'

Sorry for thread hi-jacking (notttttt!) :) :lol:

As you were! :rolleyes:[/quote]

That's what I usually get...

OTPJ: I've ordered another Status...

Mrs.OTPJ: That's okay, you're taking me to Florida again for Xmas...

Those California Series are nice basses. The MIM Deluxe Specials are very, very similar in looks & feel. I couldn't tell you the difference in sound as I've not played a Cali Series plugged in.

The MIM Deluxes also have US electrics, pickups and a US vintage bridge. MIM tuners though - same tuners as the MIM "upgrade".

[quote name='bigjohn' post='647430' date='Nov 6 2009, 05:30 PM']....snip....

The MIM Deluxes also have US electrics, pickups and a US vintage bridge. MIM tuners though - same tuners as the MIM "upgrade".[/quote]

Now that's interesting, thanks John. One thing though, are you saying the tuners are not great?

[quote name='Tinman' post='647447' date='Nov 6 2009, 05:51 PM']Now that's interesting, thanks John. One thing though, are you saying the tuners are not great?[/quote]

Nah - the tuners are fine. I think they're the same ones you get on a highway 1 too. They certainly look identical. EDIT : they are the same - part number 0036400000

here's the [url="http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0135700_02B/SD0135700_02BPg3.pdf"]parts list[/url].

Edited by bigjohn

Thanks again John. At the moment I'm definitely interested, looking forward to trying some and then arguing with the staff in Guitar Center - Vegas, last time I was in there they were no better than some of the guys in Denmark Street :)

Still, I won't let that put me off.

[quote name='Tinman' post='647466' date='Nov 6 2009, 06:04 PM']Thanks again John. At the moment I'm definitely interested, looking forward to trying some and then arguing with the staff in Guitar Center - Vegas, last time I was in there they were no better than some of the guys in Denmark Street :)

Still, I won't let that put me off.[/quote]

Oh Dear!

I really like mine, although I did find the neck very slim - not really nut width slim - just slim from front to back. Mine's now got a standard MIM precision neck on it instead, which again is a bit slim front to back but has the extra 0.165" at the nut.

I don't really know about the active electrics as mine's a passive one. They are, like their name "special" though. I bought mine off ebay - it came with all the paperwork and tags and stuff. Someone paid £699 for it when it was new.

Good luck!

Edited by bigjohn